2 // evasion.

2 // evasion.

calum always just assumed that daisy didn't talk much. it took a few lessons with her to realise how wrong he was.

maths was hard enough to get through, but with daisy, it seemed a little more bearable. her and calum talked for ages, about anything, and everything. daisy didn't smile a lot, but when she did, it made calum smile too.

she didn't like to talk about herself. mostly, she talked about others.

"you know, everyone assumes that the blondie in chemistry is obnoxious, but the other day i saw her picking up her younger siblings from school. she has like 3, and she managed to control all of them." daisy said once, and calum raised an eyebrow, smiling.

"what about you?" calum tried, and daisy just shrugged. calum sighed internally. he wasn't used to someone being so inclusive about themselves.

then again, most of the people he knew were popular; they were always talking about themselves.

daisy was definitely different. she hated talking about herself, and would evade any questions, but loved to talk in general. she brightened up calum's day significantly.

calum soon learned he was wrong about daisy all along. he assumed that she was quiet, that she hated the company of others.

but he was wrong. it wasn't that she didn't talk to anyone, it was that nobody wanted to talk to her.

she was unintentionally alone. calum didn't even know her, but he wanted to change that, so he wouldn't have to watch her sit alone at lunch, or so she wouldn't paint her nails black anymore. no one else knew daisy like calum did.

"what colour would you paint your nails?" daisy asked calum once. he seemed taken aback by this question. it wasn't one he was really expecting, since he generally thought nail polish was a feminine thing. but here daisy was, staring at him intently, waiting for an answer.

he thought about it. nobody really knew him, but they all pretended to be his friends. at home, he never saw his beloved sister, not his parents. he seemed to be a much lonelier person than he'd ever thought.

"black," calum answered, after a few moments. "i'd paint them black."