Chapter 1

Having your driver's license is great. You could legally drive wherever you want (as long as it was okay with your mom) with no parent or guardian having to be present.

And god, did your mother make you nervous when you drove.

But do you know what's better than having a license? A car. The one thing you needed to drive yourself and your friends to wherever you wanted . . . in town, that is. You begged your dad to give you the family's old Mitsubishi. It was nothing to get too excited over. It was a real gas guzzler, it needed a new battery, the headlights were real shit, but it's a drivable car! And it could be yours if you convinced your dad.

You excitedly explained this to your group of friends. The five of you were having lunch in the school's cafeteria with the exception of you all bring your own lunches. After all, you didn't know how long the cafeteria's food had been in the freezer.

One of your oldest friends, Parker, listened intently.

Parker smiled when you said that your dad was starting to budge about giving you the car. "That's perfect! Now we don't have to walk everywhere!" He grinned like a little kid in a candy shop. Parker was a nice guy and all, but he wasn't the smartest person alive. You've seen him glue his hand to his own face more than you can count, but hey, he's like your brother and you loved the big dummy. Michael Parker had chestnut brown hair that was cut and styled above his ears and was a little over six feet tall. A lot of girls swooned over him for his good looks and kindness but he mostly had hookups as he didn't want a girlfriend. He wasn't exactly a fuckboy, but he was on thin ice.

Reggie Hines, your best friend, punched Parker's shoulder, making the taller boy flinch and rub his shoulder. "She has to have a car first, you idiot." Hines was a rough and tough trouble maker. Always has been and always will be, according to Hines. Hell, you met him the first grade while he and you had detention. You got in a fight with another girl and Hines stepped in out of nowhere to back you up. Ever since that day, you two have been inseparable. He had a girlfriend, too, but they were an odd match.

To be honest, you never liked Hine's girlfriend. She was a cheerleader, rich, and far more popular than you and your friends combined. You ignored the cliché cheerleader stereotypes and gave her the benefit of the doubt when you two first met, but god, you hated her when you only five minutes into your meeting. And the feeling was mutual. You didn't know how the hell Reggie Hines could put up with his girlfriend's crap. All you knew was that he must really love her to still be with her after three years of dating. So, because of that, you put up with Jackie Powel's bull crap.

Although, you often imagined what their possible kids could look like. They could have Hines's curly brown hair, his taller height, and coolness. Or . . . they could have Jackie's short stature, her long black hair with blue eyes, and her bitchiness. Either way, those kids were bound to raise hell.

The last one of your friends was smiling on as he watched all of you interact. Roberto was a new student from Aguascalientes, Mexico and he sort of stuck your side considering you were the first person to be nice to him when he arrived. His tanned skin, slicked back black hair, and innocent eyes was what instantly threw him into the shark tank. He needed friends and you weren't about to let him be eaten alive. You called him Beto when he introduced himself in his thick accent, and the nickname stuck. Hell, even the prim and proper Jackie Powel called him 'Beto'. He was a great friend to have; very loyal and always up for adventure, but a little too naïve for his own good. He was still adjusting to life in the U.S. but you three (four, if you counted Jackie) were a good support system.

"I'll have the car soon enough!" You smiled. "I'm my dad's favorite, I just have to be a total daddy's girl for the next week and that car is mine."

"Well, he better give it up soon enough, because we're going to be seniors. And I refuse to walk to school in my senior year!" Parker said.

You rolled your eyes, "You won't have to. I got this handled."

Beto sat to your left at the table, and he whistled at something, instantly catching your attention. "Holy mother," he said.

Your eyes found exactly what – well, who – he was staring at.

Lauren Jauregui.

God, she was hot. She wore a pair of black, ripped jeans with a white top under a black bomber jacket. Her hair, as always, was wavy and cascading down her body in a beautiful curtain. You looked away before she could catch you staring, even if you really wanted to catch her green eyes. You snickered and patted Beto on his shoulder.

"I know, buddy," you said, "she's gorgeous."

"Not just gorgeous. She's a goddess!" He retorted, making the whole table laugh. Beto was a real sweetheart and basically fell in love with any girl that was nice to him. He even had a crush on you for a bit, but you told him you liked girls and he smiled and told you he completely understood.

"I wouldn't fall in love with her, Beto," Jackie warned. "Lauren Jauregui doesn't date anybody. Plus, I heard she has a little friend down south, if you know what I mean."

You rolled your eyes and sighed, gaze shifting toward Beto's confused face. "She . . . has a friend from Mexico?"

Hines shook his head and leaned over the table. "No man, she means Jauregui has to choke her chicken to get to some eggs."

Beto was still confused. Even though he spoke, wrote, and read English just fine, he still couldn't grasp metaphors or subtle hints.

Parker joined in and leaned over, too. "She has to wrestle the one eyed trouser snake in her own trousers, Beto."

Oh, poor Beto was still so confused at all the metaphors your friends were throwing his way. You really didn't see how that was anyone's business, considering it wasn't Lauren's choice to spread the news. Apparently, an ex-girlfriend went around the school and told everyone that Lauren had a penis.

You remember feeling bad for the girl, considering she was thrown out of the closet by a bitch of an ex-girlfriend.

You only spoke to Lauren a handful of times, but those conversations usually involved her asking for a pencil or to copy your notes. Either way, a pretty lady talked to you, and you weren't complaining.

"Oh!" Beto gaped, and looked at Lauren when she sat with her own group of friends. "She has a penis!"

Everyone gave a hard 'sh!' toward Beto, but the cafeteria was so loud that no one paid you five any attention, thank god.

"Yes, Beto, according to rumors," you emphasized, "she does."

"Oh well," Beto sighed and gave the unsuspecting brunette another glance. "She is gorgeous, but I'm afraid I don't like penis." He shrugged and continued to eat his food.

Soon enough the conversation shifted back to you potentially getting a car. You were so immersed with the conversation that you didn't even noticed a brunette with piercing green eyes staring at you.