Chapter 15: Scavengers

Waking up is no longer the pleasure it was. There is a fleeting moment when Envy was whole again, happy to awaken and even surprised to be alive, but it evaporates faster than summer rain off the burnt earth. Envy opened his eyes slowly, trying to stand up, but something weighed him down, as if gravity decided to ruin his day and increase in force. Envy blinked again, his vision still unfortunately blurry.

"Newt?" He called, but he winced at the pain in his throat. It felt as if someone shoved a sea urchin down his jaws.

Streaks of sunlight penetrate through canopy and blinded him, making Envy wipe his eyes, but something was on his talons. It was soft, though, the substance seemed to stick on his face once he rubbed his eyes. After numerous blinking and wiping his face, his vision finally focuses and clears up, but, Envy's body froze in place.

"Oh moons.." Envy said softly in shock.

The forest that was once so alive now gave Envy the chills. Even with the temperate climate of the Rainforest, Envy was actually shaking, lowering his wings as he slowly looked around. The trees that sheltered so many dragons with their spreading canopy of green and provided so much are now lifeless sticks of charcoal, no more vibrant than old lamp-posts in a poor city. Envy flinched when he suddenly felt something cold hit his back. Seconds later, more droplets of cold hit him. He craned his head upwards, instantly closing his eyes when another droplet hit his eyes. It was raining. Envy shook his scales like a wet dog, not bothered too badly by the rain, but disliked how the water seeped into his scales, making him feel even heavier. The forest still that smell of burning lingers despite the rain, and Envy scrunched his nose. He got back onto his talons.

Miraculously, Envy had no severe injuries, not even burns. His muscles and talons were very sore from the constant running, and his throat ached from inhaling so much smoke, but other than those minor things, he wasn't dying, luckily. Envy unfurled his wings, which were once stained black from the wet ash, but the rain easily washed it off. The black raindrops raced down the membranes of Envy's wings, dripping to the floor; quickly revealing the glittering, mossy-green coloring of the prince's wings.

"Prince Envy?" A voice echoed through the burnt down rainforest. 

Envy's ears perked up, the voice called his name again. Envy's ears were swiveling in all directions. Newt? Envy replied in his head. He snorted with uncertainty. That can't be Newt. Newt has never called Envy a prince, even after they first met. Not like Envy cared, anyway. The title 'prince' didn't matter; princesses and queens mattered.

"I'm over here!" Envy tried to yell back, but he only began to cough again. Not only was his sore throat preventing him from speaking without pain, but he was so, so thirsty. Who'd think you could be so thirsty in the rain? Yet, the rain that pattered onto Envy wasn't enough to quench his thirst, anyway. 

Envy began to trot into the direction of the yelling. Envy flicked his tongue, his ears continuing to rotate in random directions as he tried to locate the voice.

"Prince Envy!"

His ears turned to the right, and he whipped his head towards the direction. He spotted a quick glimpse of dark yellow dragon zoom through the blackened, leaf-less trees, their bright scales easily seen within the hazy rain. Luckily, the dragon eventually tilted their wings and flew into Envy's direction, finally spotting the NightWing. 

Envy smiled once the large SandWing landed a few feet away from him. She was a bit smaller than other SandWings he has seen, but she was still taller than him by a few inches. She had dark specks on her neck and wings, as if paint was splattered onto her and never came off. The warmth that was being emitted from her body was comfortably warm. Magnificent and shiny rings were applied on every talon on her body, there was even some kind of silver band on her tail.