Chapter Fourteen | Reunion

// A/N: I had to watch a billion ads to get this chapter to you guys. Dailymotion is not what it used to be, and by that it's no longer a streaming free-for-all with questionable content. //

"You must not worry, Zuko," Iroh reassured, resting a weathered hand atop of a furry, white head. Kaze had left them when morning reached, and had somehow returned after getting through the checkpoint. The colossal beast lay it's head in the older man's lap, gigantic pink tongue lolling carelessly out of it's mouth. "Kumo is watching over us, she'll be here somewhere; hidden in plain sight."

"Or Kaze might just be lost?" Iroh sighed once more, returning his attention to the station around him as the two waited for a train to the centre of Ba Sing Se. It's unique architecture brought memories back to Iroh as a sense of guilt welled up in his heart- he had tried to crush this city once. "She would've revealed herself to us now! It's been a day."

"You two did not part on such good terms, you should be cautiously patient, or else you might seek to scare her away again?" Kaze snorted, shaking his head as he did so. The trio were spared the odd glance, but no more, much to Zuko's relief. A loud voice drew the two out of their conversation as a peddler passed dressed in earth bender clothes, and pushing a small cart. A familiar scent drifted into Iroh's nose and he grinned.

"Finest tea in Ba Sing Se!" Scoffing, Zuko rolled his eyes and slouched back into his seat as Iroh waved the man down, asking for a Jasmine tea. Zuko vaguely remembered that Jasmine tea had been, or rather was Iroh's favourite tea, which was unusual for Zuko since he rarely took care to remember those things about others. Kumo was a fan of tea, he guessed, yet he could not remember what her favourite kind had been. Zuko scowled. 

"Oh, a Lu'an Melon Seed as well!" Iroh called, and Zuko frowned, however before he could question why Iroh was requesting two teas, he was approached again by the determined Jet.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a second?" Zuko got up, only to glance behind him as Iroh spit out his tea in disgust at how cold it was. The two younger boys rolled their eyes and Jet pulled him over to the side. They quickly began distracted in their discussion.

Iroh glanced round to the other side of him, pressing the other, now steaming, cup of tea into a much smaller figure's hands. The masked figure took it gratefully, sliding the bone-white mask off her face so she could sip the sweet tea. The figure, now dressed in the appropriate earth-bending clothes, had been well-hidden by Iroh's larger frame and the covered nature of the seats they were perched on. 

"Thank you, Iroh," Kumo muttered, bobbing her head in thanks towards the old man. Kumo had been sitting there since before they'd arrived, and she was almost sure Iroh had picked the seat for that specific reason. Kumo slipped her mask into her pouch, and brushed a hand through her hair to detangle a few knots. "Although, I'm sure you shouldn't be doing that in public."

"But it's tea," the old man pouted, warranting an eyeroll from both white-haired companions. Iroh, now enjoying his tea, felt himself relax in her presence, which was nothing like being with Zuko. He hoped they had both matured enough now to have a mutual and respectful relationship. Kumo had been gone a relatively long time after all. "I hope you found what you were looking for."

"Mhmm, I have." Iroh noted how she kept it curt, and brief, and couldn't help feel a slight pang of something bittersweet in his chest. Kumo did still not fully trust them yet, and that spark of childlike joy or warmth she had before had been weathered with travel, and the truth.

There was a silence as the two both drank their tea. Kumo's blue orbs wandered the station, observing anything of slight abnormality before returning once in a while to Kaze. The quiet chatter, warm lighting and tea fragrance made the two lethargic as they simply sat, enjoying each other's silence.