Chapter Four | Hope

"My abilities?" She muttered, her confidence grew and she stepped forward, a blizzard swirled in her eyes, mimicking the weather. "What abilities?"

"Just like your mother," he chuckled, a wolfish grin formed on his face, revealing a row of razor sharp teeth. "Have patience, my child, and I shall explain."

Kumo sighed in frustration before urging the giant spirit to continue.

"You are not an air bender." He explained, Kumo's eyes widened in slight shock, then what was she? "You, my child, are..."

Just like my mother, huh? I pondered upon Lang Yao's words, I could only remember few of the exact words he informed me of but the message still rang clear in my mind.

I wasn't normal, I wasn't even an air bender. I was a freak of nature. I was meant to have died fifteen years ago in the North Pole, I should of died that night, but I didn't, I lived.

I sighed, my breath like dragon's smoke, twisting and tumbling out my mouth in spiralling wisps. Slowly, I looked up at the busy streets, keeping my hood down to hide my telltale hair, people walked past, ignoring me like they would an animal. I suppose that's what I was...

Nothing more then a filthy animal. My hands balled into fists, but I kept my temper in check, closing my eyes to calm myself. The golden sun rose high in the cloudless sky, it's merciless rays shone harshly down on land. 

Kaze whined, his thick fur kept him warm, but here, it was not needed and just slowed him down. I'd had to stop and rest for a few days, travelling through this heat wasn't easy for both of us. We'd split up with Iroh, I assumed he needed time to himself after Zuko's betrayal. 

I laid my straw hat out, hoping for some copper coins. I only had a few so far, it was enough to feed myself, but not enough for Kaze. It was hard to hunt out in the plains.

"Hey," I looked up slowly, my energy drained with every movement. An old man stood by me, a walking stick supported this withered frame but I could tell he was wise, an earth bender. "What strange manner of beast is that?"

Kaze whined, covering his head with his paws, trying to hide from the heat. I sighed, patting his broad shoulder weakly.

"He's a polar dog, from the North Pole." I answered curly, using the tail of my cloak to shield my companions head. The old man hummed in curiosity. "He's not used to this heat."

"Ah, then I suppose you're from the Northern Water Tribe then?" I shrugged, starting to grow suspicious at his interest. "Hmm, how about we make a deal?"

"What kind of deal?" I questioned, narrowing my eyes at the man, my arms ached from having to shield Kaze from the sun but I didn't complain. The man chuckled.

"I'll give you and your mutt shelter and food," I raised my eyebrow, tactically waiting for the catch. Kaze whimpered, his tongue lolling out of his strong jaws. "And in exchange, you'll do some work for me on my farm."

"Alright, deal, old man." I bargained, getting up from my seat. I felt my knees buckle beneath me but I clutched onto a window sill just in time. My head spun.

"Are you alright, girl?" He asked calmly, padding over to me. I nodded, before patting Kaze's shoulder, telling him to get up. He did get up weakly and he misplaced his paws a couple times, causing him to fall. "Ah, my farm isn't far from here. May I ask your name?"

"Kumo." I answered, too tired to keep my identity a secret as I stumbled along the street, Kaze padding weakly at my heels. "This is Kaze."

"My grandchildren call me Zhu." The old man introduced himself, slowly down to my pace as we ventured through the small town. I learned a lot about the old man on our walk to his farm. He lived with eldest son and his son's wife and their three kids, as well as his two other sons.

We arrived at the small farm. Cabbages and wheat grew in the fields while there were a few rice paddies off to the side of his land, there was a chicken coop by the house and a large barn. He lead me inside the barn, setting some blankets down on the hay.

"I'll get my son's wife to tend to you-"

"No, please." I begged, my energy draining. I lay on the straw, Kaze tucked under one arm. He panted shallowly and his eyes were half closed. "Please, help Kaze first. I'll be fine."

Zhu hobbled out of the dim barn in search of his daughter in law. I sighed, staring up at the large ceiling, patting Kaze's head softly. My arms and legs felt like lead, weighing me down but I kept awake, I would not leave my companion.

Zhu returned with a woman I assumed was his daughter-in-law. She was pretty with traditional black hair tied into a loose bun but her eyes shone a unique green, darker then the earth benders. She wore a plain white and green dress.

When she saw us, her green eyes widened in horror. She jogged over to us, kneeling down beside my frail form before her eyes drifted to Kaze, she flinched back at the sight of his massive teeth.

"She says to tend to the mutt first." Zhu explained, standing impatiently in the barn doorway. I nodded, lifting my arm from around my faithful polar dog. 

"Okay," She murmured, rolling up her leaves. "Grandpa, would you mind fetching some water, oh, and some towels?"

Zhu nodded, wandering out of the barn. The woman carefully placed her hands on Kaze's head before she stroked him gently.

"I'm Mao," She introduced, folding her hands in her lap, waiting for Zhu to come back with what she asked. "You are?"

"Kumo, that's Kaze." I muttered, my eyes shut slowly. My stomach ached but I said nothing. "He's a polar dog, he looks scary and all, but he's a big softie."

"A polar dog?" She questioned, stroking Kaze's huge stomach. I nodded.

"We breed them in the North Pole,"  I explained briefly. "He's not used to the warmth, neither am I."

I heard the pitter patter of footsteps and I cracked open one eye. A young boy trotted in, a bucket of sloshing water clutched in his calloused hands, he was followed by a younger girl, who carried towels and cloth.

"Mom, we got what you needed." The boy grinned, setting it by Mao, who smiled fondly at them. The young girl followed her brothers actions. The boy frowned at us. "Who are they?"

"Koji, don't be so rude." Mao scolded, soaking a towel in water before wiping Kaze's dirt covered fur to reveal the crisp, snowy white colour I'd grown to love. "Their guest your Grandpa brought back."

The boy, Koji, stared at me curiously, his younger sister peaked out from behind him, staring at Kaze fearfully. I sighed, letting both my eyes drift shut, falling into a deep slumber.