Chapter Fifteen | Ba Sing Se

//A/N: All I can say is that I'm really sorry for how long this update took//

Kumo fanned herself gently in the searing sun, tugging at her cloak wrapped around her waist with her free hand. Although she could feel her shoulders burning, it was worth the cool breeze that circled the streets. They didn't get too many looks- there were so many refugees from all over the place for them to stand out. However, Kaze had been left in the small, rotting apartment the administration officials had given Kumo: it was only two floors down from Zuko's and Iroh's. Ba Sing Se's innermost and middle circles were beautiful- refined and sophisticated- but there in the outer circle lived the unspoken poverty. The outer ring was run down and full of corruption, and illegal animal trade. Kaze would've been a prime target, so it was better to leave him back at the building. And with that being a factor, Kumo knew it was most likely they would run into Aang, who would be searching for Appa- she didn't doubt he would travel halfway across the world for the bison; she would do the same for Kaze.

Iroh and Zuko broke into conversation about their new jobs, and Kumo used this as an opportunity to glance over her shoulder, bringing her arm up to rub her neck to disguise her action. They were still being followed. Three slim figures lurked in the cool alleyway a few houses behind them; all wearing the same navy clothes she'd seen on the train. To follow them all the way into the city was a bold move. Ba Sing Se was strictly patrolled by undercover police and governed with an iron hand- what did they think they could do? Unless they were idiots, they couldn't make a move. Kumo rolled her eyes. They probably were, she and the people around her had a habit of attracting stupid and reckless individuals. However, it meant they had to be certain about one thing, and Kumo had a dreading feeling it was about her companions.

"This is it!" Iroh exclaimed, pointing to a rundown tea shop in one of the main streets in the outer ring; Zuko's scowl grew. It didn't look too bad in comparison with the places they'd passed, and at least they weren't doing manual labour or taking part in the rather large black market.

"I'll head to the University now." Announced Kumo, stepping back from the duo. "I'll definitely be finished before you two, so I'll drop in when you're back."

The two nodded with Iroh throwing a casual wave while Zuko's stare appeared intense, and Kumo could tell what he was thinking- that'd she'd disappear all over again. Returning the wave, the girl watched them enter the tea shop, and then turned slowly to continue down the cracked road. Within the time she had turned, she had identified that the trio that had been following them had now decreased to a single, tall boy with shaggy hair. She almost smirked. What she had identified him by was his navy clothing as he leaned against a building a few yards away from them, hidden slightly by a stall. If he had not changed his clothing, then he believed he had not been spotted. That worked in her favour, and now she knew two things: his face, and who he was after.

Kumo pulled the same movement she had earlier: glancing over her shoulder as she rubbed her neck. He had moved to the alleyway to the right side of the tea shop. Yeah, he was definitely after Iroh and Zuko. Kumo returned to her normal, brisk pace, and turned her attention to making sure she had the letter from Wan Shi Tong and the work permit the administration department had given her tucked into the deep pocket in her skirt. There was no way she was even going to be able to enter the middle ring without that letter, let alone the university. Professor Liu, a head professor of Zoology at the Ba Sing Se University, had stumbled across Wan Shi Tong a few years before she had when tasked by the Earth King to bring back exotic animals. He had originally intended to bring back a Knowledge Seeker for the Earth King, but apparently had gained the respect of Wan Shi Tong for his appreciation of knowledge.