06. Girl in the Woods

0 6

A lump in the throat and pure fear rushing through my veins was the result given from the sudden news reports. When the channel swiftly turns back to a movie I haven't seen before, my eyes dart away from the screen and I see Jungkook holding the remote; a worried look swallowing him whole.

''Hey'', he says, a hand cupping my cheek and complete relaxation falling upon me. ''You're safe with me.''

And I believed him.

''I won't let anyone hurt you'', he says quietly, assuredly. ''Besides I might have just come up with a brilliant plan.''

Oh.

''Have you now?''

A sly smirk showing up on his proud face as he walks closer and leans over the counter. ''What do you say you come over to my place and we can watch some movies tonight, just the two of us. Let it be a small date night, yeah? I'll ask Jimin to take over my shift.''

''I don't think Jimin would be too happy to hear that plan of yours.''

Agreeing with my words, he then nods. ''True, but you know Jimin. The first few hours will be him whining about how he was born in Busan first and how, as an older friend, he doesn't deserve to be treated like this.''

After that, Junkook's visage softens, as if he has all the answers right up his sleeve. ''I'll just treat him to some lamb skewers next week and it'll all be perfectly fine, trust me.''

I laugh as I remember that angry, almost fuming look on Jimin's face the last time Jungkook pulled out a stunt similar to this one. The way his cheeks were flushed in red and his plump limps became more narrow as he huffed the air out of his lungs repeatedly. This boy's lucky that Jimin didn't end up smacking him right across his cheeks.

Seconds after, Jungkook's voice snaps me out of my thoughts. ''Do we have a date then?''

My tongue then almost does the unforgettable: says the simple word but thank the universe my brain decided to work slightly faster.

''I can't.'' The words seem stiff, not sincere enough and I repeat to redeem myself. ''I wish I could but I can't, I'm sorry. Something came up and I'm afraid I'll need to leave you hanging.''

And he lets out a small sigh. ''What is it this time? And don't tell me you have to organize a surprise birthday party for your non-existent cat called Bobby.''

''Hey!'' Before crossing my arms in defense, I lean over the counter and slap his shoulder gently. ''Bobby is real, alive and happy, having the time of his life in the pet shop. I just haven't bought him yet.''

Knitting his eyebrows, Jungkook leans over to me and I can feel his breath reaching the surface of my skin. His expression changes and it seems that he wasn't up for hearing more jokes coming out of my mouth. ''I'm serious Erika, you've been acting strange since the minute you stepped inside this bar. Tell me what's up.''

And I stand there, frozen, unable to think.

Because what else could I do?

How do I possibly tell my boyfriend that I've accepted to go on a date with a person whose name I have yet to find out? If the situation was different, I would've wiggled myself out with another joke or an insult thrown right at him but I don't dare to, this time.

So I hesitate.

Only for a second before I let my mouth wide open again. ''I may have ruined a life savings worth blouse of a gallery owner which got me roped into a date with him tonight.''

Deep brown eyes wrinkle up, his upper lip disappearing again once as he breaks out into a generous smile, but when I don't confirm of my sentence being just another harmless joke, his face goes pale.

''You're kidding me, right?''

Now I wait for him to snap, to lash every atom of energy onto me as he explains everything I already knew.

But he doesn't.

Instead, a blank look on his face appears before a hand runs through his hair - a polar opposite to his usually angry wall he puts up just to feed his ego a bit more. ''You really got yourself into trouble this time, haven't you?''

Even if his words were calm, I could still read him, I could still feel a hint of jealousy hiding behind the tone of his voice. ''Don't worry. It's just a date and I promise I'll make it up to you once I have that creep out of my life. Sounds good?''

There it is.

That grin.

That same sheepish grin that's driving me insane.

''Depends on how you're going to make it up to me.''

Just as Jungkook's lips drop on mine, I slap his shoulder, but not so gently this time.