09. Red Vineyard

0 9

The air in the car feels stiff, almost too heavy for my lungs to keep it in. I don't dare to look for a button that could possibly open the windows, nor do I dare to turn the radio on, in hope that it would kill the loud silence.

Hands around the steering wheel, Taehyung keeps looking at the rearview mirror, constantly searching for a sudden surprise – another car following behind that would blow up his cover. But thankfully, nothing seems to be behind, just the moon casting its leading light.

At first, it didn't seem that Taehyung, the city's richest man, would be such a private person, though the incident with the media tonight proved just the opposite.

My eyes follow the road, expecting for Taehyung to take the left turn, to drive me back home, but his hands remain steady, the steering wheel not moving.

''Uhm excuse me, Mister Gucci. You just missed a turning.'' With the heartbeat picking up its pace, my voice trembles a bit.

But he doesn't say anything.

''Hello? I'd appreciate if you could take me back home.''

''I can't.'' He says, throwing yet another quick glance at the rearview mirror. ''Not yet.''

Now I start to worry.

''Why?'' I become agitated, wiggling in my seat as if the seat belt was trying to suffocate me. ''Where are you taking me?''

''If I take you home, that would just lead them to you. They'd swarm your apartment building and before you know it, you'd be on the cover of magazines, having lies and controversy following your each and every step. I'm sure you wouldn't want that darling, now would you?''

''Of course not!'' I admit.

''Then trust me.''

And for some reason, I do.

Minutes later, we enter a bumpy road surrounded with nothing but tall trees leading us to the middle of nowhere. Before I could open my mouth to ask another question, he lets out a small sigh and even though it was pitch black, I could somehow see him smile.

''We're here.'' He says.

And I ask, ''Where is here?''

Though he doesn't answer right away as the road came to a stop. We were met with what seemed like a castle to me, guarded by a wall and black gates that opened as soon as Taehyung pressed a single button among many others in his car, and my brain immediately knew where I was.

This is his home.

Separated from humanity, Taehyung's house looks like a mansion, completely dressed in plain yet sophisticated white colour with two small trees standing in front of the entrance door.

Surprisingly enough, I was still in shock, thinking that he wouldn't live in such place due to the fact he liked to keep things private, and as soon as that thought kicked in I was almost convinced that nobody else had seen his home.

Not until now.

The car doors opened and I realize that I have been staring at the house for too long to even notice Taehyung getting out of the car. The well-mannered man opened the doors for me and I step out, feet hitting the fine sand.

We walk forward and I carefully follow Taehyung's steps as he unlocks the front doors and turns on the lights.

That's when my breath stops.

Immersed in the colors I see in front of me, the beauty doesn't end there. I glance at the ceiling, a chandelier hovering above me and within my reach is a massive staircase leading up to what I thought might've been heaven, its railing wrapped in gold.