52: Vren

The first thing I did upon waking up is take a glance at the calendar hanging on my wall.

December 2. A few more days to go.

****

"So, I guess it will be some time before we see each other again, Vren."

Nandito ako ngayon sa office ni Mr. Bosch, CEO of Arcodas, na somehow ay naging kaibigan ko na rin. Paano ba namang hindi, gayong halos siya lang ang nakakausap ko rito sa Canada. We mostly talk about business, sure, and Mr. Bosch — Kenvick — had become sort of a mentor to me.

"Who knows?" I began as a response to him. "I may come back again just after a few months. Medialink Canada's operations still need some stabilizing. And there's always the chance of you making business trips to the Philippines."

"There's the silver lining I've been waiting for." Mr. Bosch chuckled before taking a sip of his coffee. "Tell me, is Mr. Alonzo already aware that you'll be sending him here to manage the annex?"

"Yup. I already told him a couple of days ago. He is actually thrilled and thankful for the opportunity."

"Good. I'm looking forward to meeting Leimar. You always speak highly of him, so I know he'll be a delight to work with."

"That, I'm sure of." I grinned. "Leimar is one of the most brilliant people I've ever worked with."

A couple of silent minutes passed. Then, to my slight surprise, Mr. Bosch gave me a cryptic smile.

"Do I get to attend your wedding?"

Muntik na akong masamid ng kape dahil sa nakakalokong tanong ng fifty-year-old Canadian business partner ko.

Lalo namang natawa si Mr. Bosch sa reaction ko. "I know why you are in a hurry to leave, son."

"Whoever told you that I am getting married is nuts," I told him with a smirk.

"Well, you might not exactly be going home to get hitched, but am I right in saying that you are going home for the woman you want to marry?" nakangising tanong muli sa akin ni Mr. Bosch.

"How did you know about that?" I chuckled in disbelief.

"Let's just say that young people like you are fairly predictable. All you have to do is hang an I miss my girl sign around your neck to confirm everything. You always have the lovesick look on you, son."

I just stared at him, bewildered — I didn't know that I was that easy to read. My expression only served to amuse Mr. Bosch even more.

"You must really love this girl," he commented, ending with a genuinely happy smile on his face.

I knew I didn't have to say yes out loud. It's all over my face, after all. So, like an idiot, I just nodded mutely.

Mr. Bosch laughed, and a grin slowly worked its way to my face.

God knows I'm more than excited to finally see Mira again.