Chapter 2

It was the September of 2014; the humidity was paving the way for the cold weather of the "Ber Months". The country was entering, and I quote, "the longest Christmas celebration in the world". To me, that's mainly true because we take the nativity seriously here and we always start the celebration early. By September, you can already hear Christmas carols in malls all over the country, while people give joy to others and share time with their loved ones.

The old library was situated at the most unlikely location. Remotely separated from the modern construction of the campus, the dilapidated two-story building was hiding by the untamed grasses and copses on the east side of the university. To locate the library from the main building, you can ride a scooter (if you don't enjoy walking) in a road that includes crossing the vast soccer field, a trip to the auditorium, and a long trek in a narrow, cobbled passageway. The sinister façade of grayed concrete, despite the treasured knowledge inside, gives an uncanny vibes among students. Nobody was brave enough to visit the library during regular hours unless someone was looking for references at the restricted section. Sometimes, I visit the library out of curiosity and since none of my friends want to come along, I mostly go by myself. The gloomy ambience inside was surprisingly inviting, and the mystery it presented in each hallway was riveting. I wonder if there's a Pandora's Box hidden somewhere, waiting to be discovered. This was the home for old books written by Filipino writers and anonymous contributors from the golden days. There were testimonies written in manuscript, and old diaries bound in leather by unsung heroes during the Spanish era. No wonder the place was called the Filipiniana Library! All those priceless possessions were piled in shelves gathering dust.

Then came along a day when my last class was cancelled, and instead of going home, I decided to go to the library. It was 2 o'clock in the afternoon, and the entire building looks deserted, the only person in there was the librarian. I called her, "Mrs. D", she was an old maid who probably worked in that same building her entire life. She was strict; and she always warned people about wandering around the dusty shelves, but nobody pays her any attention. I knew that those tall shelves served as a hideout for young lovers to make out, but not today. I was alone, and the occasional students wandering around were nowhere in sight. As I went past Mrs. D, who barely noticed me, I went straight to the hallway and started checking all the shelves without any particular book in mind. I came here to kill time, so I was doing the best that I could. I reached the History area on the restricted section. I marveled at the variations of encyclopedic bind books from left to right in the narrow hallway. I wanted to touch them; run my fingers through the binding, but the thick cobwebs and dust coating prevented me.

But then, I noticed a small book tucked between two hard covered books halfway to the end of the shelf. I couldn't take my eyes off it, and I didn't know why. I stared at it for a moment, but the thought of not knowing what the book was about was unbearable. It could have been something that would give me a glimpse of a world different from the present time. I reached through the spider webs and pulled out the fragile book carefully from the shelf. Once I got my hands on it, I instinctively brushed the dust off with my palm. I was getting excited; I could literally hear the drumming of my heart as my blood raced with excitement, or it could have been fear that Mrs. D might catch me sneaking in the restricted section. But, I knew that she barely comes across this section of the library, so she probably won't catch me. Yet, the thought of breaking library rules was liberating. I looked at the book in my hand and I noticed that the binding was already worn out. It must have been very old. The blank cover was grayed and torn, it was more brittle than I ever expected. I flipped it open to check, but the paper was dark, and I couldn't see what was written on the pages. I pulled the book closer to get a clearer look, but a noise from the entrance distracted me. Immediately, my instinct told me to slide the book under my shirt to hide it for myself. I wanted to ponder over the recklessness of my actions, but there was no time to think. Mrs. D could eventually find her way to the restricted section. I was afraid that she might catch me stealing the book, and then the thought of death comes to mind, or worse, getting suspended. My curiosity over this old book was ridiculous, pushing me to make bold decisions that I haven't done before. I was never reckless, that was Albert's forte, and not mine. But, I felt like I needed to have this book, and I didn't know why. I acted naturally as I walked back to the entrance to get my stuff, but before I reached the counter, I saw Mrs. D walking towards me. I needed to get past her, so I inhaled deeply and pulled out a big smile, as if I was the happiest person to see her.