Chapter 14

It seemed that I was having an anxiety attack, and my body was feeling numb. I couldn't even move my feet to pull myself out of my seat. Cold sweat broke out of my forehead, my mouth dried up, and I was gasping for air all of a sudden. I reached out for a glass of water on the table and drank it completely. I inhaled deeply to allow the oxygen to clear my head, so I could think straight. Valeria was watching me the whole time I was dealing with my panic attack. I bet she was fascinated by these human traits. And when I finally settled down, I saw her looking straight at me with worry in her eyes. Her tiny white hand reached out to touch mine, and her warm grasp gave me comfort, as if a calming energy was transferred from her body to mine.

"I'm sorry to tell you this, Isaiah, but there's no other way. I can only wish that I stopped you from recovering the diary and making your website to talk about our tribe, and putting it out in the open. But in today's time, news spread like wildfire in just a matter of seconds. And now, Gakud knows, and he will do everything he can to get his diary."

"But how did you know that he knew? I thought you haven't seen him for a long time! How can you possibly-" my eyes were pinned on Valeria, as my mind puts up the pieces inside my head.

"You've seen him, haven't you? He must have told you something," my voice was small and uncertain.

Valeria sighed as she continued to assess me with her brown eyes. She withdrew her hand from holding mine, and I immediately felt the absence of her touch, as cold air got through my skin. She leaned back on her chair and put a cigarette back between her lips. She took time inhaling it before releasing the smoke out in the air. There was something about her hand holding the slim cancer stick, which was branded as Sobraine. It felt like her hand was meant to hold that cigarette to complete her dame ensemble.

"I am the one who created the creature, Isaiah. I will always know where he is, and what he means to do before doing it. I always had that connection with him. After he was fully transformed, I spent years with him, teaching him the ways of the tribe – helping him adjust to the fast moving world. How foolish was I to think that I could change him, but I'm sorry – I was in love. The creature that he became was fascinating; his height grew taller as years passed, until he reached his full height. The taipan serpents on his head became bigger and bolder. They sunk their venom in everything that moves, and it fascinated me. They seemed to abide their master's will. Gakud, he trained his venomous monsters quite well. He caused a panic in a village somewhere in Visayas, because he almost wiped out all the villagers' livestock as well as the people that lived there. I thought I could stop him, but he became too strong and too wild."

"What happened?" I asked, as I watched Valeria took another sip from her wine.

"My grandfather was the leader of the Sapphire Tomb, and all of the Wah'dli tribe worshipped him. My father was then the leader of the Tomb's warriors, and it took them almost an entire month to capture Gakud. They placed him in a strong cage to subdue his wildness, and to restrain him from hurting anyone. My father said that Gakud rejected what was left of his humanity and surrendered to the beast inside him - and he was right. I could no longer recognize Gakud's eyes. He was like an animal; a wild one, a predator. I was lucky he didn't kill me," Valeria breathed. Tears began falling from her eyes again.

"You see, my dear blogger, I was the one who made him, but then I ran to my father to seek help because I could no longer contain him. He became so dangerous, that I feared for my own life. Because of this, the entire tribe knew what I did. And because both my grandfather and my father were leaders of our tribe, their hands were tied. They had to make a decision. The punishment was exile. The last time I saw Gakud, he was in a cage, trapped like an animal, and there was nothing I could do to help him. Knowing that he was safe and alive was good enough for me. I left him there and set myself in a journey to the known world. But then years after, I heard news from my father that he escaped. How did it happen? I didn't get the chance to ask. But he is out there, alive and breathing. I never got the chance to see him. All I know is he exists, breathing the same air that I breathe, moving along the herd of people in crowded places. I like to think that he does just that – becoming civilized as the years passed. I know that he is capable of adapting. Before he turned, he was a wise man; quite stubborn, but wise. I haven't seen him for a long time, I haven't heard from him, not until you came along. You gave me hope to seeing him again," her eyes bore on me like weight on my shoulders.

"What are you trying to tell me, Valeria?" I asked. My heart was thumping in my chest as if it was going to burst out in any second.

"With your antics, you pulled him out of hiding, Isaiah. You're bringing him back to me. My beloved Gakud. We will be reunited because of you," her eyes filled with longing.

"I thought you didn't want to see him anymore. I thought-"

"He might be a changed creature. After all the years being out in the world, I didn't hear a human death of his doing. I don't want him to kill anymore, but I didn't say that I don't want to see him. Of course, I want to see him. He is my beloved."

"But, this is insane! So, what am I exactly to you? Bait?" My voice grew bigger, but it was shaking in fear. Heck, of course, I was afraid. What else can I do?

"I won't let anything happen to you," she said.

"That's bullshit!" I didn't know where the courage came from, but I willed myself to stand in full conviction. Valeria leaned back on her seat, raised an eyebrow with her pouted lips slowly turning into an amused smile. She was enjoying this - my fear, my limitation as a human being. I wasn't really sure if the people inside the restaurant were watching her, or me, but I didn't care. Then suddenly, I was furious.

"How can you say that? You can't even control him the first time. How can you be so sure that you can control him now?" there was anger in my voice and I didn't wait for her to speak up. I stormed out of the restaurant, sprinting to the streets faster, as far away from her - from the woman that I've been obsessing about for months. When I finally reached the avenue, I stopped. I was catching my breath and my heart was banging out of my ribcage. I needed to warn Albert.