Chapter 18

Graduation day came; Albert and I took our final walk inside the university campus after the ceremony. We made a pact that it was essential to do this before leaving the student life behind. Both of us were excited for this day. And of course, so were our parents, who were patiently waiting for us at the parking lot, as we did our silly promise.

The entire campus was in chaos for the commencement ceremony, and graduates along with their relatives were busy taking pictures outside in groups. I saw friends lock in a tight embrace; there was crying and lots of handshaking, while people were taking obligatory selfies in all millennial fashion. As Albert and I followed the cobbled walkway, we turned to the next corner. The noise from the covered court gradually subsided, leaving us nothing but the sound of trees swaying to the faint humming of the breeze. I smiled while thinking of the familiar feeling of being relieved, as if the blockage in my windpipe cleared, and my lungs could breathe fully the oxygen that it deserved.

"We made it!" Albert screamed at the top of his lungs, with his arms spread wide, like an eagle ready to fly.

I laughed at how silly he was, but I understood him. We were humans anyway, and being silly at times is our birthright. I had a privilege to do what my best friend did and it felt great. Shouting the angst out of my system felt liberating. In that moment, we were like crazy chimpanzees jumping up and down while laughing. Albert was cursing hard, that he would put pirates to shame. I was catching my breath while my face felt warm as we continued our stupidity. We kept on walking until we reached the secluded area of the campus, leading us to the Filipiniana Library. It's been a long time since I went near this part of the university.

And as we stepped closer, my eyes went still while my anxiety struck me in the gut. I stopped walking; my eyes surveyed the surroundings with caution until my gaze settled at the old ominous tenement. The ancient structure remains unchanged, and it's been like that for ages. It's impossible to think that this library is still fully functioning. Here at this side of the campus, far from the humdrums of the vibrant young voices of the university life, the Filipiniana Library ruled like a lost kingdom hidden in an unnamed forest. With its crumbling bravado, dusty corners, and unnerving silence, it was the very definition of a haunted building. There were no guards, nor evidence of life outside, aside from the birds chirping up on the tree branches.

"Isaiah? What's wrong?" asked Albert.

"The library... It was where I got the diary," I said.

I couldn't help but notice the stirring inside my body. There was something about this place that freaked me out, as if there was an unknown force following me. The feeling was eerie. Albert turned his head to see the building clearly, and with his eyes widened he turned to me.

"You were here? Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes, why?"

"This building was abandoned, Isaiah. I mean, it's been closed for a very long time," he said.

Panic struck me like a lightning. I stared at Albert; I couldn't believe what I just heard.

"No! That can't be. I came here several times. There were students inside, and I was able to talk to Ms. D!"

"Ms. D? You mean, Ms. Esmeralda Dizon?" asked Albert.

"What? Do you know her? I spoke to her once, while I was there."

Albert looked straight at me, the same look he gives when he's weighing the words he was about to speak. This got me worried; I really didn't want him to think that I made this all up again.