Chapter 8

It wasn't just a hunch; I was pretty convinced that Valeria was part of that tribe, whatever it was called. The course of my research changed drastically, and the sole objective was to find the name of the tribe, or any reference pertaining about the hidden tribe of preternatural beings. It took me weeks of the entire summer, but still, the result was discouraging. There's nothing I could find online, and in any library in the metro, that can stand as proof. Although, there were a few accounts about sightings of a young maiden in the mountains, but mostly it's just rumors.

After a while, I started to get frustrated of hitting nothing but walls, and I wanted to give up. I even shared my frustrations through a blogpost, and some of the readers encouraged me to keep looking. I felt patronized by all this, but still I appreciate it. The constant trolls were also there, to give their hateful comments. I even wasted half an hour blocking each and every one of them. When I told Albert about it one evening, he was playing videogames in the living room. He shrugged it off, and told me to take a break, before going back to his game. I would say, I think he grew tired of my craziness.

I stood up, went straight to the room, and lay down on my bed. I started staring at the ceiling, like I normally do when having deep thoughts. I began to lose hope, as my assumption lay unproven. Like a soldier defeated at war, I wanted to rest my case and give up. I closed my eyes, while thinking about an immortal maiden who had lived since the beginning of time. It was the last thing I remembered, before exhaustion embraced me in its warm coat.

The next morning, I woke up to find Albert's bed empty. He must have left for an early class, and he didn't bother waking me before heading out. I went to the living room to check if he was here, but the entire apartment was empty. No loud-talking Albert; it's just good ole' boring me, just looking at the television. I went straight to the kitchen to drink a glass of water. I prepared myself a heavy breakfast, and a hot cup of coffee.

While I was eating, I noticed that I left my phone on my bed. So I went to get it, and went back to the dining room to finish my breakfast. After eating, I washed the dishes, took my cup of coffee, and went to the living room. I checked my phone to read a few unread messages, and one of it was from Albert. He was telling me that he left early for school. I texted back, and told him that I just finished breakfast. I read some of the messages, replied to a few, and ignored the rest. I thought about checking my Facebook, but my email notifications got me curious. Normally, it was just messages from people who either loved or hated the blog, and sometimes I enjoyed reading them, regardless if it was an email of appreciation, or a hateful message aimed to prove me wrong. I checked to see one message with no subject, and decided to read it:

Isaiah,

I am thrilled to know that someone out there is looking for me. And I'm glad that it's you, my dear, my devoted chronicler. I'm a real sweet-seeker – I have lived and witnessed the cruelty of men in the new world. This is the reason why I decided to hide and fade away at the far corner of this island. My existence in history is uncertain, for it was my decision to leave it at that.

I am amused by your persistence. I know exactly how it's like to be ridiculed, and to be laughed at for something we believed in. I too, am an outcast. Isaiah, you are responsible for pulling me out of the abysmal world and putting me in a pedestal, like a long lost goddess. For that, I am grateful.

I will show myself to you to validate that my existence is real. Whatever your intentions are, I believe that your heart is in the right place.

Tomorrow, Café Xocolat @ 7PM – I will be waiting for you. Come alone.

V

I must have forgotten how to breathe, for I felt my lungs were constricted. I stood up and inhaled deeply. Finally, excitement raced up to my system, as if caffeine ran through my veins. I paced like a mad man thinking. It says in the email that I have to come alone, and that meant one thing – I can't tell anybody about this. Not even Albert. He would be furious, but I couldn't waste this opportunity of a lifetime. I mean, is this for real? My mind was racing with questions. What if this was a hoax, created by internet trolls? I had my doubts, but I have to try. I was deeply invested in this tale, in Valeria. I've already given everything for this. I have to try.

"I will be there..." I typed.

I didn't want to give her the impression that I would walk the fires of hell to get an opportunity to see her. I still have to act normally. This meant one thing for me – I was right. She was real, and I knew that this would change my life forever.