-9-

Believe it or not, when you're forced to spend every waking moment of every single day with the same group of people for over two weeks, you tend to learn a lot about them.

Let's talk about Ray, for example.  I've known the guy for a few months because we worked together back home, but I never knew much about him personally.  Now that we've been around each other for over two weeks straight, he's really starting to grow on me.  He's a sweet guy, always looking out for the people who need it.  He likes to call himself the mother of Delta Company, and in all honesty, I can see it.  He can't go three minutes without making sure everyone's doing okay.   He also plays the guitar in his spare time, sometimes electrically, too.  See?  It's crazy how much you can learn about someone when you're thrust into vigorous training exercises with them.

Now let's talk about Tyler.  He's twenty-one--just had his birthday a few weeks ago, right before Pearl Harbor.  He seems like a shy kid, but far from rude.  He's probably one of the quietest and kindest guys in the whole company.  We've been partnered up for a few training exercises in the past week, and I'm starting to take a liking to him.  Who can't?  There's nothing to dislike about him.  At least, not from what I've seen.

His close friend Josh is hard to dislike, too.  Both of them grew up in Ohio, and from what I've heard, they've been friends for as long as they can remember.  I wonder if they both coincidentally got drafted, or if their situation was similar to mine and Mikey's back home.  I haven't snooped that much.

There's not much to say about Brendon.  He's a loud, exuberant, incredibly high-strung twenty-year-old from Nevada.  He can't go five minutes without shouting something or cracking a joke, and if I'm being honest, I think Sergeant Gioia is starting to plot his murder.  The menacing glares and scowls Brendon receives from the drill sergeant even frighten me from time to time.

Ryan continues to grow on me more and more every day, and Spencer and Jon are climbing the list, too.  With Jon's sly wit, Spencer's intelligent and collected composure, and Ryan's timidity and warmhearted attitude, it's difficult to cast the trio aside.  They go together well, and that's something I love to see around a harsh training camp like this.

Dallon is definitely what you would call a unique person.  At the ripe age of twenty-two, he might as well already be an old man.  He acts like an embarrassing father from time to time, what with his dry humor and terrible jokes, but we love him all the same.  I haven't had the chance to talk to him much, but from what I've seen and heard, I have a feeling we'd get along.

Patrick and Pete have to be one of the most adorable duos I've seen throughout this entire training camp.  Pete is around my age, and although Patrick is just a year or two younger, that doesn't put a barrier between their newfound friendship.  Every time I glance at them, they're always talking or making jokes or just having a great time in general.  It might be a stretch, but I have a feeling some of the other companies are jealous of the incredible friendship they have going on.

And now, last but not least, my new friend Frank.  Yes, I think it's safe to say the word friend at this point in the game.  After two straight weeks of eating together in the mess hall, partnering up for those brutal exercises, and sleeping next to one another in the barracks, how could we not have grown closer?  Mikey likes him, too, so that certainly helps.  The three of us are all getting along swimmingly, and believe it or not, basic training might not be as awful as it could be, all because of them.  They give me something to fight for.

Hell, everyone in Delta Company gives me something to fight for, because they're all amazing people.  Sergeant Gioia may be the biggest asshole on the planet, but he sure knows how to bond a company together in a short amount of time.

Speaking of, it's time for his next big idea, something that's supposed to make us cooperate with one another even more so than the exercises.

We're playing Capture the Flag.

*  *  *  *  *

"All right, fuckers, listen up,"  Sergeant Gioia snaps, his expression cold as Delta Company scrambles to attention.  The afternoon sun beats down on us, and even though it's the middle of winter, the intense heat burns the side of my face.  I already feel the sweat beginning to collect into heavy droplets.  "We're gonna be playing a little game with Sierra Company this evening.  I'm sure you all know what it is."

"Capture the Flag, sir,"  the company responds in unison.

"You're damn right it is."  Sergeant Gioia stops pacing, folding his arms behind his back as he turns to face his company.  "I hope you all know how to play, but just in case a few of you thick-headed losers don't, allow me to go over the basics.

"Delta Company has a flag."  He holds up a small blue flag, flapping in the afternoon breeze.  "Sierra Company has a flag.  Theirs is red.  Each flag will be placed on opposite ends of a section of the forest.  Your job as Delta Company soldiers is simple.  Sneak into Sierra Company's territory, retrieve their flag, and bring it back to your territory without getting caught.  If you happen to get caught by a Sierra soldier, however, and they touch you, you're dead.  No questions asked, because that's exactly what will happen in a real battle.  If the enemy spots you....you boys are gonna be in some deep shit."

Thanks for the optimism, Sergeant Gioia.  I wish I could say this out loud without getting my ass kicked, though.

Sergeant Gioia ruffles the flag, snapping me back to attention.  "Any questions?"  he asks.  "Pretty simple game.  Strategize and cooperate with the members of your company.  Teamwork is key.  It's how you'll survive on the real battlefield.  Right, boys?"

"Yes, sir,"  Delta Company replies.

"Good."  Sergeant Gioia glances up at the blinding afternoon sun, creeping closer and closer to the horizon.  "We'll be done before nightfall.  You fucks aren't coordinated enough to play this in the dark yet.  That'll come with time."  He clears his throat as a wicked smile twists its way onto his pale face.  I don't trust that look.  I don't trust it at all.  "You better get ready to fight, because Sierra Company does not fuck around.  Don't embarrass me.  The standing of Delta Company rests in your inexperienced hands."

"Yes, sir."

Sergeant Gioia nods once.  It's a firm, unyielding nod, and as he begins to approach me, I can't help but feel the adrenaline wash over me in a wave of pure terror.

He gives the flag to me.

"Good luck, boys,"  he says, not once breaking our stare.  I swear he's looking straight through me, but all I can do is return his strong gaze with the same exact nod he gave us.

And so the games begin.

~~~~~

Okay it's obviously supposed to be a sign for like a construction company or something but when we drove by this all I saw at first was the acronym and I almost cried so here you go, be upset with me

In other words, family-fun-time is so eXHAUSTING.  We got back way later than expected (as you can tell by when the fRIck I'm publishing this) but we thankfully made it back in one piece.  I left my soul somewhere along the interstate too but it should wander back eventually

Love y'all!  Remember to vote/comment/share with your pals! <3