-36-

You know, the longer and longer I go without sleeping, the more I realize that I'll never need to try a drug to see how I'm affected by it.  Extreme sleep deprivation is doing it for me.

My blood is molasses in my veins, fighting to keep up with even the slightest of movements.  Sometimes I lose my balance and stumble over my own feet, my vision sluggish with exhaustion.  I haven't slept in days, yet here I am, trudging through a field with the rest of my company as we march toward our next destination.  I'm starting to think I won't make it there without passing out.

The colors of dawn paint the cloudless sky above us as we carry on.  No one speaks.  We let the wind whistle through the tall grass, let the birds chirp and sing in the distance.  We haven't heard a single gunshot in hours, and in all honesty, I was starting to forget what a regular countryside sounded like.  I was so used to deafening explosions and the rapid sound of gunfire echoing in the distance, but now, all we hear is the tranquil sound of nature; as much as I enjoy it, it isn't helping me stay awake in the slightest.

Serpent Company is traveling with us, along with another company I don't know the name of.  General Armstrong leads the way through the endless field, bringing us toward a small town called Carentan.  I suppose this is where we'll fight our next battle as the Allies desperately try to gain ground over the enemy.  If we take this town, then that's another win in the book for us.  We're making good progress.  I know we are.

It's just difficult to feel happy about it when we have to put our lives on the line yet again.

So as I exchange an uncertain glance with Mikey, the silent troops continue plodding through the empty field, toward our next fight.

Toward the town of Carentan.

*  *  *  *  *

The eerie sound of a squeaking swingset is the only thing to pierce the still air.  Our footsteps slowly come to a stop as we crouch at the crest of a small hill, peering down into the abandoned town below.  The windows are dusty, some shattered and broken.  The dirt streets are ghostly, completely silent and stretching on past the old buildings.  Not a single soul is around, and just sparing a glance at the town before us is enough to chill my blood to ice.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

His eyes narrowed and his voice hushed, General Armstrong motions for us to huddle closer.  "Listen up, boys,"  he whispers.  Despite his quiet tone, the silence of the area around us makes his words seem like a deafening shout.  "Capturing this town is essential to furthering our success.  This is the only place where the troops on Utah and Omaha can link up and move inland.  Do everything you can to take this place.  Understand?"

The atmosphere thickens as we all answer with a muffled, "Yes, sir."

And with that, it's our time to shine once more.  Keeping low to the gravel beneath us, Delta Company gathers at the crest of the hill, Serpent Company hot on our heels.  The other company remains in the ditches, readying their covering fire.  They'll join us once we've made our main assault, but as for right now, Delta is charging the town, and we're taking it by storm.

The enemies will never know what hit them.

His gaze cold and determined, Frank motions for us to make our move.  As quickly and quietly as a fox, we dash down the hill and into the town below.

The silence rings in my ears like a deadly alarm, a warning that something is lurking between these old buildings.  Half of our company ducks behind a small barn; the other half, myself included, crowds at the corner of a building on the opposite side of the street.  No one exchanges a single word, just stares across the street at one other, waiting for the opportune moment to strike.