-32-

The sun begins to peek over the distant horizon, bleeding the inky nighttime sky with soft hues of orange and pink.  Morning birds chirp and sing their cheerful songs without a care in the world.  The crickets steadily start to quiet down for the approaching dawn, and in their place, frogs croak, cicadas trill.  Not a single sound exists except the soothing noises of the nature around us, and it's magical.

It almost makes me forget that we're trapped inside a living nightmare.

No one speaks as the five of us march into the dawn.  We follow the old dirt path into a swampy marsh, through a quiet field, straight through the peaceful, abandoned countrysides of France, and still, not a single familiar soul is in sight.  I know it sounds crazy, but I can't swallow the peculiar and terrifying feeling that we may never find our company again.

I can't allow myself to think like that.  The thought alone pains me to my very core.  We'll find them.  I know we will.

I'm ripped out of my suffocating thoughts when one of the Tango Company soldiers sniffles.  His head hangs as he shuffles through the tall grass, and soon enough, he finds himself at the back of the group with me.  It doesn't take an idiot to tell that something is bothering him.

So in an attempt to make him feel better, I strike up a conversation.  "What's your name?"  I ask.  My voice almost sounds foreign amongst the songs of nature around us.

His eyes pop open, terror glimmering in his gaze as he spares me a frantic glance.  He straightens his posture and looks down again within a matter of seconds.  "Samuel Pearson, sir,"  he responds, his tone quivering.  I don't know why he seems so afraid of me.  I'm not going to hurt him.

"Nice to meet you, Sam,"  I say with the biggest smile I can muster up.  "My name's G--"

"Gerard Way,"  he finishes before I even have a chance to comprehend what's happening.  "I know, sir.  I-I've heard a lot about you."

If I was puzzled by his frightened demeanor before, it's nothing compared to the confusion clouding my mind now.  I can't stop a frown from spreading across my face as I glance down at him and his sheepish posture.  "What do you mean?  It's not like I'm a commander or anything.  Just another pawn in this game of war."

Sam lifts his shoulders in a frail shrug.  "I don't know,"  he murmurs.  "Word spread through the camp.  Your fight with that Crawford guy, just how talented you are in general.  You should be some sort of commander if you ask me, sir.  I think you're good enough."

I barely even know this kid, and he's already glorifying me more than anyone I've ever met in my life.  I'm not that talented.  I got my ass handed to me on a silver platter when I started that fight with Crawford and his goons.  I'm not sure where he's getting his information from, but anyone else in Delta would make a much better commander than me.  I'm not born to be a leader.  Plain and simple.

Nonetheless, I'm flattered by his kind words, and I hope he knows it, too.  He's a nice kid.  I like him already.

I turn to flash him a warmhearted smile when Joe suddenly stops in his tracks, bringing the group to an abrupt halt.  He crouches down to the ground, concealing himself in the overgrown grass and signaling for us to do the same.  I'm not sure what he sees up ahead, but the unexpected stop to our travels makes my heart drum inside my chest.

We've made it this far.  We can't let anything bad happen now.

His voice a quiet hiss among the subdued sounds of nature, Joe nods his head at the other Tango soldier.  "Gardner, come with me.  We'll scope the place out."