Chapter Five: Emmy

Over the past week, Christina and I had been talking more. I even got her number. That was a four hour phone call with Tom. We had become friends, and I still wanted to be her girlfriend. Who in their right mind wouldn't  want to be?

"Earth to Emmy," said Tom, waving his hand in front of my face.

"What?"

"Were you even listening?"

"Not really," I said sheepishly. I was too busy thinking about Christina. Her smile, her- 

"Emmy!" I was pulled out of my thoughts once again.

"Sorry! I promise I'll listen this time!" I said, giving him my full attention.

"Cute girl across the hall. She's been looking at me." he smiled over my shoulder. I followed his gaze to a girl I know as Gracie Lance.

"Tom," I sighed.

"What?" he said accusingly.

"You realize she's gay, right?" I said, holding back laughter.

"No," he said, wide eyed, staring at me.

"Yes," I repeated, desperately trying to keep my laughter to myself. "She asked me out to the dance."

"You didn't go to the dance though."

"I hate dancing."

"You said it was because you didn't have a date."

"Technically I didn't." I said, giving in and giggling.

"Why do I always find the gay girls cute?" he shook his head

"I don't know. But it's funny as hell for me." Gracie wasn't his first lesbian. It's like he's Ross from Friends. He didn't know his last girlfriend was a lesbian. He claimed she was 'as straight as can be' when they first got together.

"Not helping Emmy." he said, cracking a smile.

"I got you to smile, didn't I?" I said, linking my arm into his. "Let's get to class."

- - -

It was lunch. Thank god. I needed food. I got in line for lunch, and was standing there peacefully when a girl tapped me on the shoulder. She looked vaguely familiar.

"Hi, I'm Jade. You're Christina's friend, yeah?" the girl- Jade- asked.

"Uh, yeah. I'm Emmy." I said, really confused. Have I mentioned just how awkward I am? I'm really awkward.

"So..."

"So...?" I repeated.

"What's up?" 

WHY WAS THIS GIRL TALKING TO ME AND WHERE DID I KNOW HER FROM?

"Getting food," I said calmly. Contrary to my mind.

WHO IS THIS CHICK? WHY IS SHE SO FAMILIAR? AND PRETTY? WAIT.

"I figured. After all, you're in the lunch line."

"Right," I blushed. 

WHY DID I BLUSH? ONLY A CERTAIN GIRL CAN MAKE ME- Christina's sister. Jade. It clicked.

"You're not very talkative," said Jade tentatively.

"I am very talkative when you know me, and then you can't get me to shut up, really. It can be a huge problem." I rambled. "You're Christina's sister, right?" I hope that wasn't a weird remark.

"Yeah. That's me." she said, looking down. "Christina's sister," she muttered. Sore spot?

"Uh, anyways, not to be rude, but why'd you say hi?" I immediately regretted the words. I could only imagine the things racing through Jade's mind at this exact moment. "I... uh, I didn't mean it like-"