Chapter Eight: Jade

More giggling. I rolled over in bed to check the time. 1:22 am. I sat up groggily and tossed back the covers, shuffling out of bed and to the door next to mine.

"Yeah that's crazy!" exclaimed Christina. "Mhmm." silence. "Woah." bed creaks. "Really?" I opened the door.

"Christina it's past one in the morning and you are not the only person on the planet. For the love of god, hang up the phone and go to bed," I said in a raspy voice, with my hand held across my eyes to shield them from the blinding light of the room.

"Oh, sorry Jade," said Christina sheepishly. And then she stopped talking. "Emmy says sorry for keeping you up."

"She didn't keep me up you did. Just go to sleep soon, okay? Or at least be quieter. We share a wall."

"Okay, sorry," she said solemnly, before listening to the phone and giggling again.

"Night," I mumbled, closing the door. As the lock clicked, Christina's laugh burst out twice as loud as it had been before. I walked into my room, grabbed a few blankets and my good pillow, and waddled downstairs to sleep on the couch.

- - -

I woke up with a headache, as one does when they have four crappy hours of on and off sleep. I didn't get to bed until almost 2:30 in the morning and boy, could I feel it.

Christina came bounding down the stairs, surprisingly chipper. "Morning Jade!" She said, opening the fridge. I yawned.

"Hi. Why are you so happy? You didn't sleep for a while last night..." I trailed, wondering what her secret was as I poured myself another cup of coffee.

"I don't know. I only slept like two hours but I feel energized." She turns her attention to the plate on the counter. "Did you make pancakes?"

"Yeah, I did. When I couldn't fall asleep because of your volume last night. They might be a little cold."

"Cool, thanks Jade!" said Christina, either missing or ignoring my jab at her. "I'm gonna grab my backpack and I'll be good to go." She headed back up the stairs. I sighed and grabbed my keys and phone off the table, walking towards my book bag while wishing I could just take the whole coffee pot with me today. I can't stay up like I used to.

Lame, Jade! You're 18... live a little.

Christina came back down the stairs and brushed by me on the way to my car.

"Shall we?" she asked

"Do we have a choice?" I muttered under my breath, pressing the unlock button.

"Nope! But I wanted to sound nice anyways."

"It's not like you're forcing me to take you. This is out of my own generosity-"

"-or it's because of mom saying you have to or she won't give you any gas money."

"Shut up, twerp."

"Knucklehead."

"Twig-ass."

"Hey! My ass is voluptuous."

"Uh huh. Okay." I put the car in reverse.

"Really, I mean look at this thing!" Christina leaned over so I could look at her ass.

"Sit your silly ass down on the seat before you hurt yourself trying to make it look bigger while sitting in a car." I said as I started to drive forwards.

"Okay, fine." Grumbled Christina, turning to her phone. I switched on the radio, to hear "Kiss Me Through The Phone" play.

"Wow. Throwback," I said, turning up the volume. Christina giggled from the passenger seat but I didn't care. I focused on driving to school, knowing I would die when I got there.

- - -

School, in a few words, was lame. You could also say very tiring, considering my night last night.  AP Lit fifth hour was the only remotely interesting class. Not because I like English, but rather because we got to watch a movie. In other words, I took a nice nap.

I was waiting for Christina to come out of the school like always, because for some reason she can't just grab her stuff and leave. She has to say goodbye to the hundreds of her adoring fans. Not really, I don't know what she actually does, but that seems to be the only logical reason she takes so long. As I say in the car, I heard a tap on the window. I looked up to see Emmy, which was not what I was expecting.

"Hi?"

"Hey Jade. How are you?"

"Peachy. Why do you ask?"

"Just curious," she said, adjusting her backpack. Emmy was wearing a flannel and jeans. Which was similar to my usual attire.

"I mean I'm pretty tired. You and Christina were up late last night and we share a wall."

"Oh. Oh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to keep you up too."

"What were you guys even talking about?"

"Everything. Nothing. You know how those conversations go, you know? The ones where there isn't really a topic but you're talking about the silliest things..." her focus was above my head, and confused I turned around. No one. I looked back and she jolted out of whatever trance she was in.

"Actually, no. I don't have those kinds of conversations." I replied, and Christina's face turned to a frown. I didn't like it.

"Really? You haven't had random conversations with someone you like, or your best friend? Like ever?"

"I don't have a best friend."

"I'm sorry. How do you not have a best friend? What about that Zach guy? The one from the library?"

"Project partner. That's it."

"Wow. I'm sorry. That can't be fun, Jade."

"It's whatever." I said, a little unsure how the conversation was going to continue. I glanced through the windshield and saw someone approaching. Emmy caught my movement and looked herself.

"Oh hey! It's Christina!" She pointed out.

"Yeah." Just in time.

"Hey Jade," she said while she opened the passenger door. "...and Emmy?"

"Hi!" Replied Emmy

"Yeah." I said, not caring if it fit the situation

"Hey, since she's here Jade, can she come over?" Asked Christina. I thought about it.

"Emmy are you going to need a ride home? And are your parent going to care?"

"I can walk back, it's probably not that far, and no. They aren't even home." She said. It was obviously a touchy subject.

"Alright, sure." And with that, Emmy climbed into the back seat.