Chapter 12

CHAPTER 12

“Aunt Nadia, this is Larson. Larson, my aunt,” I said by way of introduction when my aunt got out of her sedan.

Aunt Nadia had come in her pajamas, wearing blue cotton pants with yellow polka dots, and a matching yellow tee. Her golden-strawberry locks were pulled back into a clip, loose strands framing her heart-shaped face. Despite her super casual look, she had bothered putting on a little make-up.

Larson offered my aunt a friendly, fangless smile, and held out his hand for her to shake. She hesitated a moment, before remembering her manners, and taking Larson’s outstretched hand. “Pleasure to meet you.”

“Pleasure’s all mine,” he insisted. They let their hands drop. “And I see you’ve even dressed up for the occasion,” Larson added, sounding simultaneously charming and teasing.

Aunt Nadia laughed, “Yes, well, I was sort of under the impression it was just going to be me & Viky.” She gave me a Thanks for the heads up look. “Didn’t think I’d be needin’ to impress anyone tonight.”

“Rest assured, I am thoroughly impressed,” he smirked.

My aunt turned to me, grinning. “I like him.”

I rolled my eyes. “Give it time.”

Larson pantomimed a stake to his chest. “Oh, my wounded heart. It bleeds.”

I snorted, “Yeah, okay. Come on, Aunt Nadia.” Taking her by the wrist, I began to lead us towards Nathan’s front door.

“Hey, what about me,” Larson asked with mock hurt in his tone.

I shot over my shoulder, “Girl’s night—no boys allowed.” I plowed on with my aunt behind me. That is, until she came to an abrupt halt, causing me to stop with her.

“No wonder you don’t get out much. You’ve gotta be nicer to your friends, Viky,” she chided.

I caught Larson’s smug grin, before he hid it behind a mask of feigned pain. “Yeah, Viky.”

“Oh, suck it,” I told the vamp. To my aunt, I said. “I am being nice. This is how we do nice.”

My aunt leveled me with a reproachful glare. It was nearly identical to the one my mom used to give me if I wasn’t playing nice with Kat. I stood there looking back at her with my mouth agape.

Just as I was ready to defend my actions, Aunt Nadia, while still glaring at me, said to the vamp behind her, “We’d be thrilled if you joined us, Larson.”

“Why thank you, Nadia. I’d be delighted,” he replied oozing innocence. Then, he threw me a wink when she wasn’t looking.

I huffed and added an eye roll for emphasis. “Right, well, guess we should go get this girl’s night underway.” I started for the door, my aunt and Larson in tow. Under my breath, I whispered just low enough that only Larson’s supersonic bat ears would pick it up. “Behave yourself, mister. And try not to eat my aunt.”

He didn’t respond—not that I expected him to with my oblivious Aunt in-between us. I also didn’t think him eating Nadia would actually be an issue. He was pretty good with me anyways, rough-housing and all.

The three of us went inside, where I introduced her to Nathan. She subtly ogled him just like she had Larson, and although she liked the vamp, she visibly relaxed around my infuriating bodyguard-for-hire.

Although it annoyed me on a small level, I also felt better knowing Aunt Nadia would stress less about the new crowd I was hanging with. The other more selfish part of me, also felt good knowing she wasn’t partial to Nathan because he was such a fun, trust-worthy host, but because she was being subconsciously influenced by whatever supernatural energy he gave off.