Chapter 19

CHAPTER 19

I think it could be safe to assume that we all wanted Atlas Caine alive, for a little while anyways. With the unfortunate exception of Nathan.

“It’s too risky—we should kill him as soon as the opportunity presents itself,” Nathan disputed.

Without missing a beat, Larson shot back, “No. Absolutely not. He may have information we need.”

“What could be so important to chance such dangers?” Nathan asked incredulously, his eyebrows pulling together.

Good question, but I trusted Larson knew what he was doing. I was still all for it.

“If you ask me, it’s no damned coincidence that he runs the undead underground of Texas and wants her dead,” he gestured towards me. “And the Damned are going out of their way to ruin her life. Either demons have recruited his efforts, or he has recruited there’s. In either case, there is a good chance he knows something about the demon that killed Viktoriya’s sister,” he stated matter-of-factly. “We needed him alive if we expect to get some straight answers.”

Larson’s smile was predatory and playful. “Also, I really want to know what the fuck he is.”

I spoke up next, sarcasm dripping off each word, “As for me, I’d like to personally express my gratitude to Mr. Caine for going through the trouble of putting my head up for sale—so nice of him.”

Larson added, “We can make an example out of him—show anyone else what awaits them if they cross that line.”

Nathan still wasn’t very convinced, but he was outnumbered, three-to-one. I told him he was more than welcome to stay behind if it bothered him so much, but that only pissed him off. He was even more determined to come with us, even if it only meant he’d be watching on the sidelines to keep his presence from being discovered. Nathan apparently trusted Larson and Vigil with his involvement, but not Atlas’ or the rest of his vamperic guards. I didn’t understand why Nathan was so adamant about keeping his involvement a secret. What was the big freakin’ deal?

Vigil’s resolute voice broke my train of thought. “Here’s what’s going to happen: Larson, you’re going to drive up to the gates with the human restrained in the back, claiming her as your prisoner. Nathan and I will already be stationed on the grounds awaiting your arrival.”

Nathan, I noted, did not look too pleased with this plan.

Vigil continued oblivious, “State that you’re there to claim your reward. It’ll be a significant enough development that he’ll come out to retrieve her personally. That’s when we’ll strike.”

I chewed the bottom of my lip nervously, “And what if he doesn’t come out?”

“Believe me miss, he will.” There was a confidence in Vigil’s assertion that reminded me of Larson. Vampires were either very cocky or very intuitive. Either way, it didn’t matter just so long as he was right. There was little doubt in my mind that if we ended up having to meet Atlas inside his home, I probably would not come out alive.

Vigil continued, “On my signal, you restrain Mr.Caine.” He directed at Larson.

“What’s the signal?” I asked.

Either he was too concentrated on organizing the attack or he didn’t hear me, because I didn’t get an answer. Or perhaps he was too impatient to reply.

“I must return to my post. Y’all should head out soon; I’ll be awaiting your arrival.”

Before I could even open my mouth to say good-bye, Vigil had shot up into the sky. Right, forgot vampires could fly—well, only some could actually, according to Larson.