Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

I stirred awake, feeling warm light from the morning sun across my face. My lungs took in a fresh breath of air as I buried my face in my pillow and pulled the comforter over my head to hide from the light. With a second breath, I stiffened. Since when was my bed so comfortable? Usually I had too many springs digging into my ribs to enjoy waking up. My pillow didn’t smell right either. This pillow smelled like pine and fresh linen, and not like the lavender I was used to.

My eyes flew open and all I could see was the black comforter. My bedding was grey, making it clear I wasn’t back in my own apartment. I’d left with…well, not quite a total stranger. But I knew virtually nothing about him. Yes, he’d saved my life, but that hardly made us BFFs. In good faith—and left without many options—I’d gone off with this guy. Of course, I wasn’t chained up in some mystery basement, so I took that as a good first sign.

I rolled onto my back, a dull throbbing pain starting at the back of my head. I sighed, pulling down the comforter a little to stare at the smooth white ceiling.

“About time you woke up. I was beginning to consider you might have actually suffered a concussion.”

I hadn’t noticed anyone was in the room. My head snapped to the right, where I found Nathan sitting on a black leather chair directly across from me. It wasn’t until I saw him that I noticed the soft electrical hum that was his signature.

I was fully dressed in the shorts and polo shirt I’d been wearing last night, but I pulled the sheets into me. “What are you doing in here?”

A mischievous smile pulled at the corners of his lips. “This is my home.”

I gave him a look that said, obviously. I knew that he knew what I meant. Where was here, anyway?

I took a quick look around. There was a built-in mini bar on the back wall, with black granite countertops. Glass shelves were secured directly above a chrome wet bar, showcasing crystal glasses that glinted in the morning light. To my left, directly across from the bedroom door, were French glass doors that appeared to lead to a veranda. Everything was white, black, chrome and glass. In one word, this room was chic, but it lacked anything personal.

“Your interior decorator wouldn’t happen to be Kimye would it?” I asked sitting up against the bed’s black leather headboard, admiring it as well.

The reference seemed to be lost on him. “I would not know. The house came pre-furnished this way. Is it not acceptable?”

With a perplexed expression, I responded, “Uh, sure. I guess.”

Taking in his appearance, I couldn’t help but ask, “Did the closets come pre-stocked too?”

Unlikely, since his clothes fit him to a T. Nathan wore that same black trench coat from last night over expensive looking slacks, a black button-up shirt, and black shoes that were definitely Armani—I could see the unsubtle, unmistakable logo. I wouldn’t be surprised if his entire outfit had been Armani sponsored.

“I detect sarcasm, but as a matter of fact, yes. Now, if only you were half as observant last night as you are right now.”

I raised my brows at that. Taking note of his excellent fashion sense wasn’t exactly high on my list of priorities last night. Nor, did I see how it was relevant. “Oh, my mistake. I didn’t know that predicting your ability to match Armani with a duvet cover was of such importance.”

His response was bland. “It’s not. I am only advising that you pay close attention to your surroundings. Observation is the key to uncovering the weaknesses of your enemies.”