five.

CHAPTER FIVE.
( DON'T MAKE ME REGRET
ASKING FOR YOUR HELP. )

┌────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┐❛ she's a poisoni'm dying to drink

❛ she's a poison
i'm dying to drink. ❜
└────── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──────┘

SAGE WAS BACK AT WORK THE NEXT DAY. Sweet Pea, sitting in his usual corner booth, watched as the girl bussed many tables and wrote down many orders. He felt somewhat bad for the girl — it was clear she was trying her hardest to keep busy.

The girl let out a huff as she gave her customers their orders, nearly dropping the milkshake on one of them. Some of the liquid splashed out of the cup and onto the customers shirt. "I—I'm so sorry!" She exclaimed. The customer smiled and waved her off. "That's on the House."

Sweet Pea quietly sipped at his milkshake, savoring the birthday cake flavor on his tongue as he watched Sage walk to him. She fell into the booth across from him, slamming her apron on the table. She let out a sigh as she dropped her head in her hands. Sweet Pea could tell she was shaking.

"I—I can't do this." She mumbled, and Sweet Pea shot her a glance. "I'm pretty sure if you talked to Pop about your loss, he'd understand and give you time off. Am I wrong?" He watched as Sage shook her head.

"That's not what I'm stressed out about, Sweet Pea," she sucked in a breath. "It's about what Stheno didn't do when she was still... alive." the word tasted bitter on her tongue as she forced it out. Sweet Pea waited for the girl to continue. When she didn't, Sweet Pea took his chance to talk.

"What's that got to do with you?"

Sage let out a throaty groan. Sweet Pea would've found it slightly hot if she wasn't so stressed. "Because," her tone was cold. "It's now my job to make sure it gets taken care of." She looked up to meet Sweet Pea's eyes. She could tell he was growing angry; she guessed it was because of the little amount of information she was giving him.

His grip around the glass tightened as he clenched his jaw. "How elaborate," He growled. He suddenly let go of the glass and slid out of the booth. "Good luck with whatever the hell you've gotta do. I'm out." Before Sage could protest, Sweet Pea was already out the door.

Sage watched, through the large window, as Sweet Pea stepped on his bike and rode away without a second thought.

FP was sat on a bar stool, sipping on a cold beer, when Sweet Pea slammed his jacket on the tabletop. "You told me to trust you, and I have," Sweet Pea could feel his anger rising. "You told me to keep an eye on Sage, and I have," he clenched his fists. "You told me not to ask questions, and I haven't," The teenage boy could barely contain his anger by now. "But now, I'm telling you to explain this whole fucked-up, confusing ass situation to me. I deserve it."