Chapter 2

Whispers

        Getting off the subway as quickly as God allowed Kaitlin to go, she ran towards Midwood High school. Rushing past trees that lined the school's gate, adrenaline pumping through her veins as she inhaled the pine tree's scent. She was as ready as she could ever be, holding down her skirt as she ran past the school's security and into the bike parking. The exhilarating feeling of success made her vision as sharp as a falcon's. She paid close attention to each student entering the school's campus. Patiently waiting for Nick, the only patience she had left in her body. Everyone would want to talk to Nick, he's back after leaving before sophomore year could even begin, except his vibe is completely different from his freshman year. Fearing that the smart, nice boy she once knew, would be damaged by the evil in the world. Had he changed? All hell broke loose in seconds as she noticed the familiar guy walking past the gate. It was time.

        Rummaging through her backpack, Kaitlin started to look for the letter. Feeling it's attraction like a magnet as she got closer, her hand lightly brushing the envelope that had been stashed away in her binder. Pulling the envelope out, she closed her backpack and swung it over her shoulder, as she walked towards Nick. Excitement shown on her face as she got closer and closer each step getting longer. She stopped right in front of him, a confused look lingering on Nick's face as he took in Kaitlin for the second time that day. His own feelings fighting against his thoughts, she had changed so much. A woman was now standing before him, smiling from ear to ear.

        "Hey, once again." She said to him as she tucked a loose strand of hair that had fallen from her braid behind her ear. Cursing at herself for not fixing it, after running like a maniac to school. "So um..." She stuttered as the nerves finally caught up with her, overriding the adrenaline. "I'm Kaitlin, and this," she added holding the envelope out in front of her, "is for you." Nick looked down at the letter and examined it, taking it in his hands looking at the heart sticker that was binding the envelope, he knew exactly what is was. His heart wanted to accept the letter and allow Kaitlin to be part of his reclaimed life at Midwood. However; his mind was telling him to reject it, using the excuse of it being too soon to be tied down to anyone. He wanted to have his fun. In this case fun was more to him than his own feelings.

"I don't want it." He looked at her, with a smirk plastered on his face. Wide-eyed, Kaitlin's rosy cheeks turned to a crimson red. "You shouldn't have considered giving me this in the first place." He said throwing the card in the air like a frisbee, which soon landed by a couple of student bystanders that had taken in the confession attempt. Afraid they were going to open the letter and read it's content, Kaitlin shoved Nick's chest.

"You didn't have to throw it like that you jerkass!" She exclaimed rushing to pick up the letter. Humiliated by her choice of words.

Really Kaitlin? A Jerkass? God could you be more embarrassing?! She thought. Placing the letter back into her bag, she stomped into the building. Frustration clear as sky on her face, she started to walk down the halls of Midwood, no one making an effort to hide their gossipy expression as they looked her up and down. Probably to find reasons why Nick had rejected her. Hair of a bird's nest, skirt of a nun, personality of a monkey, body of a middle schooler. Each reason stabbing her self esteem that was already low to begin with. She walked into the cafeteria and made her way to the line, grabbing a red plastic tray that were designated by the serving counter. Kaitlin began observing her options: cereal, yogurt, or a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Grabbing a cereal bowl, and a small box of milk, she made her way to the center table. The only circle table in the room. Strictly "reserved," for the queens and kings of this school. The nearby table had grown louder as they had enough time to enhance how she was going to die for sitting at the table.

"She's so just looking for attention." A platinum blonde stated as she smacked on bubblegum. Rolling her eyes, Kaitlin started to prepare her cereal. Slowly pouring the milk inside, because lord knows the milk will explode if poured it like a caveman, immediately losing its respect.

"So, Jerkass huh?" Kaitlin looked up and met Jade's eyes. She was making herself comfortable as Sasha walked over to them.

"Uh, don't remind me about it." She said, ripping the utensil packet that contained a spork, straw, and a napkin. "I embarrassed myself to extreme measures today."

"How are you holding up? I mean it must have been exciting." Sasha said, munching on an apple. She was dressed in the school's uniform as well, but for some reason she made it look like something out of NY Fashion Week.

"No, you're completely right. It was the most excitement I felt after watching season four of The 100, I was simply caught off-guard with his outspoken rejection." Kaitlin added, taking in a spoonful of cinnamon toast crunch.

"Wait a second, you thought he would accept your confession? Don't get me wrong you're smokin' hot, but it's Nick we're talking about." Jade said as she took off her earphones, implying she was getting into the conversation.

"I know what you're getting at, the thing is we had a moment. While commuting to school, he seemed perfect. I guess my own patience caught up to me, if I had waited a day after his return, I probably wouldn't have confessed." She said taking another spoonful of cereal.

"No. Don't regret confessing, never regret anything. The only thing I will allow you to regret is not slapping him." Sasha added. Kaitlin laughed at Sasha's statement completely agreeing with her. The rest of their breakfast time was spent talking about their summer vacation and comparing schedules.

*

Before Nick had left the face of the Earth, he left his mark on the school, seen as the smartest kid in their entire 100 years of existing. His intelligence was well beyond his years, everyone labeled him "The Nerd of the Century," with his IQ of 180. However his intelligence was limited, he never talked to girls, claiming he didn't have time for them. Kaitlin's feelings started when they shared an umbrella. At that time she was 14 years old and a freshman, new to the environment of high school. In result of making sure she had everything for the first day, the unpredictable weather of New York took a toll on her. After getting off at the wrong train stop she had to wait twenty minutes for the next train. When the train finally stopped and the doors slid open, Kaitlin could hear the heavy raindrops up the metro exit stairs. Walking up the stairs she stopped when the entire floor was wet, it had been raining for a while. Placing her backpack on her head she darted towards her school, feeling water seep through her backpack. Stopping by a tree, she sighed knowing either way she was going to have to get wet and protect her materials. Before she could make a run for it, she noticed the rain stopped hitting her head. Looking up she could see a red umbrella blocking the rain. Immediately she turned around to face a boy who wore a smile across his face.

Kaitlin knew he had definitely changed. After their first meeting, Kaitlin couldn't bring herself to talk to him. Every time she saw him, she'd go the other direction, as a result of the new pace her heart would beat at just by the sound of his voice. She had fallen for him, and there was no going back. Nick however, noticed her avoidance, he'd see her leave every time he got close to her. His heart had been damaged, while Kaitlin's had woken up.