Chapter 3

Best Friends

"Can you please stop worrying about him?" Jade asked with a hint of annoyance present in her voice, as they walked into the classroom. The smell of chalk and perfume almost visible in the air, the chattering of students and the scraping of chairs across the floor could be heard from miles away . Kaitlin following behind Jade sighed.

"What do you suggest I do?" She asked with her hands up, "at this point I don't even know if he's interested in girls." She made her way to her favorite seat throughout each class always  by the window.

"He's 17 years old, and a total hottie if I may add." Sasha assured, placing her backpack on the designated hook behind her chair. "More or less I say he's testing the waters, ya know? Scoping out the fish in the sea." She leaned into the desk, with a hand under her chin fully into the conversation. "Heck, he's probably still a virgin, far as I can tell." Immediately embarrassed Kaitlin started blushing, the crimson color running through her cheeks, knowing perfectly well that she wanted Nick.

"A girl can only dream," Kaitlin whispered as she turned her attention towards the front of the classroom. Still embarrassed, she groaned, trying to force her dirty thoughts out of her head. Trying to think of something other than Nick. The sensation bleeding through her with determination to pull all focus she had on the teacher. Sighing heavily she put her head in between her hands and tried to forcefully contort her thoughts, ending up with a mess. A cloud full of lust and irritation clear on her face.

"Kaitlin?" In a mere whisper, she heard her name being called from the seat next to her. Slowly lifting up her head she shifted in her seat to see the owner of the voice.

"Yes?" She replied as she looked up. Nick was sitting there with a smile showing on his face like a sticker. The thoughts she had managed to calm down, found their way back into her subconscious. "What do you want?" She stirred in her seat, clearing her throat as a nervous breakdown tried taking over her. Shifting her brow as skepticism reached her reaction, with narrowed eyes, she met his stare again.

"Next time, don't embarrass me." He said leaning back in his seat, turning his attention back to the teacher. Stunned, Kaitlin sunk down in her seat, not only did she forget about the episode she starred in, before school, but she managed to ignore Nick's entrance to the classroom.

She leaned back into her chair, overwhelmed by everything that had occurred in less than 30 minutes, her weak mind gave her a tortuous headache.

"You son of a bitch." She said in a mere whisper with her hands resting on her temples, his back tensed up obviously shocked by her response. He cleared his throat after regathering his composure.

"You can call me anything you want. I'll just ignore you Bi, wouldn't you like that?" He said, a smirk painted on his face as he bit his pencil. Kaitlin sat up and finally making a decision, she has to get over him no matter how long it will take. This useless attraction was going to get her angry with the world. Groaning, she looked over to Sasha and tapped her chair with her foot, knowing the drill she took out her compact mirror and looked at Kaitlin through it. She started to mouth words.

"What the hell just happened?" She mouthed, Kaitlin sighed and mouthed her own words.

"I'm done, help me get over him, yeah?" She asked, a genuine smile rising onto Sasha's face. She simply nodded. "He called me Bi... what the hell does that mean?"

***

When their class ended, Kaitlin immediately grabbed Sasha by the arm, and made her way over to Jade, who was waiting patiently by the door. They started walking down the hall, towards the restroom.

"I can't believe I'm doing this." Kaitlin said as she pushed through the door that led into the restroom, letting go of Sasha and Jade in the process.

"I'm actually glad that you decided to forget about him, even if you literally just declared your love for him like 2 hours ago." Jade said as she washed her hands. Rolling her eyes Kaitlin sighed in defeat, she was right. Two hours ago she was ready to become his girlfriend and have him take her, but he had changed tremendously enough to repulse her. He was really nice to her before they arrived at school, as if he hadn't recognized her.

"Will you girls help me or not?" She asked for confirmation.

"Of course we will, the best way to get over someone is to treat yourself first. You're moving houses soon right?" Jade said smiling at Kaitlin, Kaitlin's eyes brightened up at the thought.

"You're right, I should spoil myself. I could buy some decorations for my new room." She said, with a sigh. "I don't know what I'd do without you girls," she added hugging both of them. "Would you guys like to join me? I'll just inform my dad before school's out, we can drive to the Salvation Army directly from here." She said pulling her phone out from her skirt pocket.

    "Yeah, I'm down. We also have our emergency outfits in our lockers too, so we won't have to walk around in our uniforms." Jade added.

"Okay, it's a date. I'll text you guys the details in a bit." Kaitlin said, as she hugged them one more time goodbye. As she exited the restroom the smile she had on her face vanished into thin air.

She knew that no matter what was said, it won't be easy to get over Nick. She wasn't convinced she could, the whole world was begging her to grow up from the useless freshman year crush, but Kaitlin thought otherwise.

Feeling drained from all social interaction, she made her way to the library, to her haven. With the feeling of wanting to punish herself for being so obsessive over Nick, she just slid into the little closet behind the last bookcase, which she had camped as her reading nook.

The closet was big enough to hold stacks of books that were Kaitlin's height, while also housing three bean bags, she would adjust to nap in. She didn't want to see Nick in person at all. Precisely knowing they had all, but two classes together.

Pulling out the school's copy of Wuthering Heights, Kaitlin began to read. Immersing herself into the book, flipping through the pages like reading through a magazine. Before she could realize she slowly drifted off to sleep, with the book ever so nicely tucked under her arms close to her heart.