Chapter Twenty: Kagua's Death, Naraku's Desires

"So what happened to you going after Naraku?" Sesshomaru asked; it had already been a month since their last encounter.

"Change of plans." she replied; avoiding eye contact. She hadn't been able to look him in the eye since Otaku told her about the light in her dark emotion.

"Come with me." Sesshomaru said; standing up.

"Where are we going?" Nayumi asked.

"For a walk." Sesshomaru replied.

"It's late. We should sleep." Nayumi replied.

"Let's walk. There aren't any demons around, so you don't have that as an excuse. We both know you're not tired enough to sleep around me, You got some sleep last night." Sesshomaru said.

Nayumi sighed, and followed him through the trees. Neither of them said anything, but Nayumi's mind was going crazy. She cursed Otaku for ever pointing out the other emotion. She never noticed it before, but now that she knew it was there she couldn't stop thinking about it. It was driving her crazy, and was making traveling with them hard.

        "Sit." Sesshomaru finally said; she hadn'y realized they had stopped.

"Where are we?" Nayumi asked.

"The main river that runs through the west." Sesshomaru answered.

"The western lands are yours, are they not?" Nayumi asked.

"Yes, the only good thing my father left me." he replied.

"What about your Tensegia?" Nayumi asked.

"A sword that cannot cut is of no use to me." Sesshomaru said.

Nayumi didn't know what to say, so she didn't say anything. She decided to sit next to him.

        "I never asked how you were feeling." Sesshomaru said after a while.

"Huh?" Nayumi asked.

"You used a lot of your spiritual power in the last fight. I've never asked how you felt." he asnwered; looking her in the eye. She stopped moving. She couldn't look away, but she really didn't want to.

"I'm fine." she whispered; still not able to look away.

"Promise me you'll stop fighting." Sesshomaru said; pulling her into a hug.

"Get off me, dog." Nayumi said, but her heart wasn't in it.

"You have to stop fighting." Sesshomaru said; tightening his arm around her.

"I can never stop fighting." Nayumi replied.

"You can." Sesshomaru said.

"I can't; too many demons want me dead." Nayumi said; giving in and hugging him back.

"I can protect you." Sesshomaru replied.

        "Lord Sesshomaru! Did you leave me?" Jaken yelled.

At the sound of his voice, Nayumi shoved away from Sesshomaru. Only then did she sense the odd presence.

"It's one of Naraku's incarnations!" Nayumi yelled; running back the way they had come.

"Ah! Slayer! That means my lord didn't abandon-" Sesshomaru stepped on the imp as he ran after Nayumi. The sun was up  now, and he could smell Naraku's scent.

As Nayumi ran through where they had all been sleeping; Kohaku, who had been traveling with them for a while now, woke up.

"What's going on?" he asked.