xvi. s.o.s

"So, how did the dinner go?" Betty asked as she ate her salad

Caroline looked up glumly from her plate of food to meet Betty's excited gaze.

"It was nice, at first. Then the Green Goblin hijacked everyone's phone and Peter...," Caroline began and then stared over at Peter who sat with Ned at another table. "I don't really know what happened to him."

Peter was sitting with Ned at the 'loser table'. He looked miserable, meanwhile Ned seemed like he was attempting to cheer him up.

"What do you mean? You guys had a fight?"

"Kind of. I don't really want to talk about it," Caroline insisted before returning to eat her food.

"It's okay, we can talk about other things. Like for instance, did you notice that Harry Osborn didn't come to school today?" Betty mentioned, with a sour tone when she mentioned Harry's name. The brunette had never been a fan of him.

Caroline shuddered at the mention of Harry's name. She wanted nothing to do with, especially after he grabbed her arm like that and made fun of Peter. "I hadn't noticed," she muttered, poking around at her food.

"And with his father acting up, it doesn't look too good on him to be skipping school like that."

"That's true," Caroline said, things beginning to click inside her head. Harry was most definitely involved in his father's plans, in one way or another.

"On a happier note," she began, her mouth full of lettuce, "I'm coming over to your place this afternoon, right?"

"Yes," Caroline said, now with a small smile on her face. "We're going to eat some pizza while binge-watching Star Wars."

Peter raised his head from the surface of his table to look over at Caroline; he had been able to listen to that part of the conversation due to his super hearing. He looked at her wistfully, wishing that it were him sitting in Betty's seat, wishing that Caroline's plans were with him instead. Peter dreamed of being with Caroline instead of worrying about the deadline given to him by the Green Goblin.