xviii. in a giving mood

"Let me get this straight

"Let me get this straight. You're telling me that my daughter and Iron Man's niece were captured by the Green Goblin's son, taken to a warehouse where the Goblin tortured and harmed them, and were then rescued by Ironman and their classmate who is Spider-Man?" Betty's mother asked back at the Avengers Compound, moments after the entire incident had happened. She had her arm around her daughter, who now had her right forearm wrapped in bandages. The pair stared at the group of people in front of them, composed by: Tony, Peter, Caroline, James, Joyce, and Happy.

"Yep. Sounds about right," Tony sighed, stepping closer to the family and kneeling down on one knee. "Look, I know it's hard to take in all of this information at once, but you're lucky that your daughter is alive. And the Green Goblin has already been taken care of, so there's no more need to worry. All we ask of you is to please not tell anyone who's behind Spider-Man's mask or that Caroline is my niece. This could simply put all of us in even more danger."

"I understand," the older woman nodded, beginning to stand up so both her and her daughter could leave.

"Perfect," Tony said, now standing up as well. "And again, thank you for your confidentiality."

"It's no problem, Mr. Stark," Mrs. Brant smiled weakly. "Let's go, Elizabeth."

Betty walked behind her mother, her face still somewhat surprised and confused, adorned dark circles underneath her eyes.

"Betty wait," Caroline spoke, catching her friend's attention and walking up to her. "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you about these things any sooner. I just-"

"Caroline, I get it," Betty interrupted. "You did the right thing in not telling me. Those are definitely secrets that you need to keep. And it's not your fault that we got captured, so don't blame yourself. I just... I need some time to process all of this. That's all."

"Okay. I understand," Caroline replied. "I hope your arm gets better..."

"Me too. I'll see you around, okay?"

"Of course," Caroline smiled. "Bye."

"Bye," Betty waved, jogging slightly to catch up to her mother.