Chapter Three

The storm clouds were rolling in, turning the waters into a nightmare abyss.

No one in their right mind would want to be anywhere near the docks during the year's worst thunderstorm. The waves were raging against the winds, rising and falling over one another. A final warning to retreat.

But even though his own clothes flapped furiously against his body, Henry kept his ground and continued flicking his gold coin into the air. He stood right at the edge. One more step and he would find himself surrounded by the horrendous sea creatures children were always told about to prevent them from coming to this area.

But Henry wasn't a child anymore, and he didn't fear any of that nonsense. He often wondered if his fate would be better off if he was simply dragged beneath the water and never resurfaced. After all, he'd never learned how to swim. 

"You've been out here an awful long time, Your Highness," someone said from behind. Their voice was being carried out by the angry winds, yet Henry perfectly caught each word. He didn't have to look to know it was Walter—his father's advisor. Well, he had been before the King's brutal demise four years ago. Now he was only a wealthy old man who resided in the castle, for Henry's sake.

Henry caught the coin one last time.

"Why did you come out here?" he asked, purposely shouting so he could be heard over the storm's increasing ruckus. Without waiting for a response, Henry turned and faced the elderly man who could barely keep himself up anymore, even with the wooden cane Henry had ordered to be crafted for him.

"Oh, now just look at yourself!" Henry rushed to his side. "It is your hip again, isn't it?" He shook his head. "You shouldn't walk such far distances."

"I brought a carriage, Your Highness," Walter defended. Henry's lips twitched. "Anyhow, I was not going to stay in that castle another moment alone with your brother."

And that was enough for Henry to drop his smile. He carefully led Walter down the path. "He is your king now, Walter."

"The only king I'd ever bow to is your father." Although Henry admired Walter's loyalty, he mentally noted that he would need to discuss this with him later. Victor was a ruthless ruler who wouldn't make exceptions for anyone who dared disrespect him and his title.

The pair reached the carriage. Henry stood aside. He felt a few drops of rain land on his head, and he frowned. With the help of the guard who'd come along, he got Walter inside first and then slid in himself afterwards.

As they started moving, Henry peeked out toward the docks again, a longing yanking at his chest. He could feel Walter staring intensely at him, so he sat back.

"You shouldn't have come for me, Walter," he murmured, looking down at the coin in his hand. "I would have returned, and I would have been fine."

"You have told me that many times, Your Highness," said Walter. "I fear that won't be true one day."

Henry closed his fist around his coin and sighed. He had no more strength for this conversation.

---

Clanks of forks against porcelain rang out around Henry. He stared blankly at his untouched plate of rice, carrots, and mushroom stuffed quail. And his stomach turned. 

"I overheard Walter saying he found you near the docks again," Victor spoke, acknowledging Henry for the first time that day.

Although Henry preferred being invisible among his family during their meals, he slowly raised his gaze to meet his brother's.

Victor grinned and lifted his chalice to his mouth. "What do you think of that, Mother?"

Their mother was sitting to Victor's right. She seemed uninterested in joining this conversation, but she inhaled sharply through her nose and squinted at Henry.