Chapter Forty-Eight

Eldon headed down the stairs to meet the others for breakfast when he came across Udolf speaking to an older woman. Her blonde hair—or was it silver?—was tied up in a bun without a single strand out of place. The scowl on her face seemed permanent, which had probably caused all the deep lines around her mouth.

She noticed Eldon getting closer and quit talking mid-sentence. Udolf turned, and Eldon was surprised to see him look relieved by his presence.

Udolf looked forward again and said, "Pardon me, but I have guests to attend to now."

The woman rolled her eyes. "Do not use that pathetic tone with me, Udolf. You may have fooled most of our population. Not me, though. To me, you are still that naïve child my brother failed to raise."

Udolf chuckled. "And now he's dead and I'm in charge. Therefore, if you want to ensure your stay in the city, I'd watch your tongue."

"I cannot fathom what you think you are accomplishing by welcoming them"—she nodded toward Eldon—"into your home. I only hope you are aware of the consequences. Those who were already skeptical about you are now furious that Her Highness is here. You should be ashamed of yourself."

Udolf stepped back and spread his arms out. In a tone that was sarcastically dramatic, he shouted, "If it delights you enough to leave, then consider me ashamed!" Then he dropped onto one knee and hung his head. "I am a wretched fool for being so kind to my neighbors!"

Eldon furrowed his eyebrows, though he couldn't help but snicker. He heard footsteps behind him and looked to see that Ivy was now watching this display—just as confused and amused as him.

With that, his aunt groaned and stomped out of there, her sharp, bony knuckles white from how tight her fists were.

Udolf watched her leave. Then he looked up at Eldon and Ivy and grinned as he rose to his feet. "She wouldn't have left otherwise."

Ivy giggled and clapped her hands. "Well played!"

"Come along. Let us eat. I don't know about the two of you, but I'm famished."

Ivy reached Eldon on the steps. She smiled at Udolf. "Oh, we will, but—"

"Eldon?" Elouise called from the top of the stairs.

Eldon and Udolf glanced up while Ivy turned around. And Eldon couldn't stop himself from gawking.

The skirt of Elouise's mint-green airy gown was covered with golden floral designs, and the bubble sleeves were off her shoulders. Her wavy hair had been kept down again. She brushed some of it behind her right ear, exposing a hidden braid underneath that had a gold ribbon intertwined into it.

Eldon's throat went dry. He swallowed painfully and blinked hard. That's when he noticed Udolf's also staring at her. His gaze was softer than Eldon had ever thought possible for him. And Eldon bit his tongue to resist glaring at him.

"Good morning, Elouise!" Ivy sang.

Elouise beamed at her. "Good morning, Ivy." She then made her way down the steps and stopped in front of Eldon.

He watched her open and close her mouth a few times and watched the crease between her brows deepen.

"Your Highness," Udolf spoke first.

Elouise widened her eyes and faced him.

"Shall I escort you to the dining hall?" he offered her his arm.

Eldon glanced at Elouise, hoping she'd say no. Hoping she'd tell Udolf she wanted to stay here instead.

Maybe she wanted to be kind to him in his home because she moved closer and accepted his arm. He quickly led her away, and she didn't look back.