Chapter Twenty

Quick note!! I'm going to try posting 2-3 times this week to make up for my slow posting. Expect another update for sure on Wednesday!! I appreciate your patience and support!!!

~~~

Eldon scooped up water from the bucket with his hands and splashed it against his face. He sighed happily and repeated the process a few more times before wiping down his skin with a piece of cloth.

After he arrived last night, Darwyn informed him that pay was due. Elouise had only paid for a few nights. So, if Eldon and Leanne expected to stay longer, they owed Darwyn for more nights. But Eldon didn't have much on him, so they agreed he would help clean around the inn to make up for the pay.

He started today. And, of course, he'd overslept.

Leanne gave him a lecture that reminded him a lot of Mary's, and she made him swear never to make her worry like that again. He promised, and they went to bed. When he'd opened his eyes a moment ago, he found himself alone. He guessed he deserved that, too.

Eldon pushed himself up onto his feet, the grogginess still refusing to fade. He rubbed his eyes with his knuckles on his way out. Halfway to the staircase, he heard the distant sounds of a crowd screaming for help. And he groaned as he dragged himself back to his room to retrieve his sword.

"Ain't no day without peace," he murmured before running out.

While he expected to rush out into the streets and find the same group of bandits with Haven leading them, he skidded to a stop when he saw a horde of trollbies instead.

"What the—" Eldon held his breath as a trollbie landed on a man's head, knocking him down.

Eldon drew his sword and clenched his teeth, but before he could move, an arrow flew past and lunged right into the creature's neck. The man managed to throw the creature off himself and hurry onto his feet. Eldon rushed forward and beheaded the trollbie before it could get up again. Then he spun around, coming face to face with Leanne.

She smirked at him. "Saved his ass, didn't I? That coulda easily been you, too." Her amusement quickly faded when screeches rang out and three more trollbies ran through the entrance, tackling down the nearest guards. Leanne quickly shot down another, narrowly rescuing a woman guard who'd lost the grip of her spear.

The streets were clearing much too slowly. The townspeople trampled over each other, making themselves easy targets for the creatures charging forward at full speed.

Eldon looked to Leanne. "We gotta get everyone outta the way." But he was then shoved aside by a few people and caught the eye of another trollbie. Eldon clenched his teeth and stepped forward, easily thrusting his sword through its throat once it was close enough. He twisted, then ripped through to the side, cutting its head off.

"Nice one!" Leanne cheered, reaching back for another arrow.

"Thanks," Eldon mumbled, gripping his sword tighter.

"Help!" a dainty voice cried.

Leanne and Eldon whipped their heads in the direction it came from. And Eldon gasped when he recognized Ivy cowering behind a stand as two trollbies danced on top of it. Leanne shot her next arrow through one of their skulls, scaring off the other. She then ran over and helped Ivy onto her feet. Ivy held onto her, pale as snow.

Eldon wanted to go over and ask her what she was doing out here, but he heard a child sobbing. He turned, seeing her tripping over her skirts as she ran away from one of the creatures. She peeked over her shoulder and painfully shrieked. The trollbie licked its lips in anticipation. It should've been faster than the girl, and Eldon realized it was just taunting her by running slower. Her fear made her even more appetizing to it.