Chapter Forty

Although delayed because of the ambush, they made it to the Outlands. Eldon and Henry had been forced to sit up front with the coachmen of the other two carriages. There'd been talk about turning back and heading home instead. But knowing how close they were, Lord Berney convinced King Philip to continue onward.

They'd lost someone, though. Eldon couldn't shake the guilt of having not even known the poor man's name. King Philip had asked one of the coachmen to turn back and retrieve the body for a proper burial. He'd also demanded that Eldon clean himself up and change into something that wasn't covered in bits of flesh and blood.

Eldon obliged and did so when they took another small break for Ivy, who'd begged them to stop. She had to empty her bladder immediately. After Eldon was done changing, he found Elouise leaning against the carriage. He thought about walking over to her. Then Fayre approached her instead, and he decided it was best to leave them alone.

Earlier, when he had left Henry to fight off the remaining three attackers while he checked on everyone else, Elouise was attempting to fight off a trollbie with Sir Aaron's sword. The knight had been too occupied with a bow as he struck down a few creatures. The trollbie with Elouise was too quick for her and caused her to give up with the sword. She instead struck the filthy little creature down with her light while Aaron still had his back turned.

Eldon ran up to her and checked for bites in any visible area he could see. She waved his hands away, assuring him she hadn't been hurt. And then she'd hugged him tightly and whispered, "I knew this had to be their doing, and I was so afraid that you were going to hand yourself over to them."

Eldon couldn't deny how tempted he had been. Just to make it stop. Just to keep her safe.

After every trollbie had been killed and Henry was reunited with them, Elouise had pulled Eldon aside again.

With determination firmly set on her usually soft features, she said to him, "I know I said we would wait, but I think this trip would give us the perfect opportunity to sneak away and begin our journey to Beatrice's hidden spot in the Southern Eastern mountains." And she'd left before he could process her statement and give his response.

Thinking back to it now as the carriages came to another halt in front of the city's entrance, Eldon knew Elouise hadn't meant it. Well, she had in the moment. But he knew that if they went through with it, she would later find herself regretting it. They weren't prepared to take such a journey yet, and he knew she hadn't even brought the map with her. Leaving like that without a proper plan would lead to disastrous outcomes. He wasn't going to risk her safety like that.

Eldon carefully stepped off and onto the ground. Then he limped over to the door and opened it for the king. King Philip avoided eye contact for as long as he could, but he eventually nodded at Eldon and walked away. That was his gratitude, Eldon guessed. He nearly shut the door on Lord Berney, forgetting entirely about him. Berney slapped his hand against it, holding it still, and he glowered at Eldon as he made his way out.

Sir Aaron exited last and grinned at Eldon. Eldon smiled back at him, though he was slightly disappointed that Aaron's official squire (a certain someone named Booker, who'd rightfully earned his stay after rescuing Eldon) hadn't come along on this trip. Then again, Eldon supposed it was actually a good thing Booker had stayed home.

Henry was holding the door open for the women, offering his hand for each of them. Eldon's stomach twisted as he thought about how he had some explaining to do with Henry. He had no idea how that conversation would go.

Eldon figured it wouldn't come as a complete shock, considering Elouise had also accidentally revealed one of her abilities to Henry. Still, he couldn't imagine what Henry's reaction would be once he fully knew the truth.