chapter 06.

( CHAPTER 6 )❛  blindsided  ❜

( CHAPTER 6 )
  blindsided 

_____

     ELENA HADN'T BEEN this exhausted after a day of work in a very long time. After nearly getting run over and almost falling off a building, all she wanted to do was sleep for the next 24 hours. Even if her body was tired, her mind just wouldn't let her fall asleep.

Elena's brain was buzzing constantly as she sat in front of the tv. She tried reading herself to sleep, but she couldn't make herself focus on the words, rereading sentences multiple times. But now as she drowned herself in front of the blinding television screen past seven in the evening where Detroit's sun had set already, she thought that maybe this wasn't such a good idea.

Her mind just wouldn't shut up. About the case. About deviants. About her worries and anxieties.

About Connor.

It cycled constantly throughout the night, giving her a mild headache as she sat on her couch, curled up in her blanket that she periodically threw off due to random temperature changes.

Her eyes were practically watering at the lack of blinking she was doing at the re-run of a random television show before she was startled by her cellphone ringing.

Elena jolted in her seat, blinking in confusion before coughing out a response. "Answer!" She called to her cell phone that sat on the kitchen counter, throwing the blanket off and trudging towards it.

"Elena?" A familiar voice spoke on the other line, making her halt in her steps.

Her eyebrows furrowed as she rubbed her eyes tiredly. "Yes...who is this?"

"This is Connor."

Of course, now she recognized his tone of voice. She wondered for a moment how he got her number, realizing he could probably call anybody in the world with a blink of his eyes.

"I'm calling to inform you that we received an urgent case tonight." Elena grumbled quietly in response, sitting on her barstool and picking up her phone. "I was going to pick you up after finding Lieutenant, but I found him at his home. He seems to be unconscious on the kitchen floor."

Elena's heart twisted in her chest, feeling much more awake. "I'm on my way."

"No need to worry, I will make sure he is alright long before you arrive," Connor assured her on the other line as Elena quickly took off her lounge wear (sweatpants and an old t-shirt) and threw on a pair of jeans and knitted sweater.

"Alright, see you soon," Elena said, before yelling at her phone to end the call as she hopped on one foot, struggling to put on her socks.

Elena grabbed her trench coat, black boots and scarf, her headache getting worse than before as she drove down the dark streets of Detroit to her father's house, as she'd done many times before.