chapter 11.

( CHAPTER 11 )❛  finality  ❜

( CHAPTER 11 )
finality

_____

     CAPTAIN FOWLER'S NEXT words made Elena's heart sink to her stomach.

"You're off the case. The FBI is taking over."

She wasn't sure how to respond. She knew things were getting much bigger to be dealt with in 2 detectives and an android's hands, but they were so close to solving it that she thought they had hope.

Luckily Hank spoke up for them. "What? But we're on to something! We...we just need more time. I'm sure we can-"

"Hank," Fowler interrupted, "you don't get it. This isn't just another investigation, it's a fucking civil war!"

She hated to admit it, but he was right. All over the news showed the deviants' freedom march, which ended badly when the riot officers tried to stop it.

"It's out of our hands now. We're talking about national security here," he continued.

"Fuck that! You can't just pull the plug now," Hank shot back, "not when we're so close."

"You're always saying you can't stand androids! Jesus Hank, make up your mind! I thought you'd be happy about this."

Connor seemed to have a knack for getting on people good sides.

"Captain, we're so close to solving this!" Elena spoke up, stepping closer with pleading hands. "Please, just this once, give us a little more time?"

He shook his head, knowing if he could, he would give that time to her. "There's nothing I can do." Elena let out a defeated sigh.

"You two are back on homicide, and the android returns to CyberLife."

Elena's whole body went rigid as she looked to Connor behind her, he android staring right back. "I'm sorry, but it's over" he continued.

Elena's bottom lip trembled in fear, being the first one to storm out of his office. So that was it? She'd never see Connor again? She didn't want this to happen. Not now, not ever.

Hank found Elena leaning against the wall behind his desk, as he plopped himself down in defeat. Connor followed behind, sitting on Hank's desk. Elena crossed her arms, eyes glued to the floor. She was once angry, but now all she could feel was grief.

Grief for the loss of somebody who wasn't even dead.

"We can't just give up like that," Connor exclaimed, her brown eyes glancing up at his, for probably the last time. "I know we could've solved this case." This was the first time she'd seen him so frustrated.