ONE

3rd April 2006

I sat at a red plastic table eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

"Do you have anything to swap Dean?" Caity Wells asked.

"I have strawberries" I replied.

"I'll give you pretzels for a strawberry" she offered.

"Okay" I agreed, exchanging the snacks.

"Dean?" I looked up and saw Miss Gold with a sad smile on her face, "could you come with me quickly"

I followed her into the bathroom where I heard soft sobs.

Miss Gold put a hand on my shoulder, "he says he'll only talk to you"

She left as I walked towards the sound.

There he was, curled up as small as humanly possible in the corner of the bathroom.

"Benny?" I spoke softly.

He looked up at me, his blue eyes were red and puffy because of how he'd been crying.

I sat on the cold tiles in front of him, pulling my knees to my chest.

"Why are you crying Benny Boo?" I asked softly.

I wiped one of his tears away, thats what mom always does when I cry.

He didn't speak.

"Can I give you a hug?" Mom said hugs make people happy.

He nodded before wrapping his arms around me.

I squeezed him and he winced in pain.

I pulled away quickly, "Benny?"

"My dad" he simply stated.

A scowl spead across my face.

I hated Ben's dad, he hurt him.

Ben told me to promise to never tell anyone, and that his dad would kill him if he found out I knew.

That made me want to hurt him back.

Ben's dad was a scary man. He always smelled gross and he never smiled.

"What did he do this time?" I asked softly, though I was scared of the answer.

He sighed, "he told me to bring him a drink but I dropped it and it broke and spilled all over the floor, he hit me with the belt and locked me in my bedroom"

I pulled him close again.

"You should tell Miss Gold" I suggested.

"No" he simple replied.

23rd June 2008

I was sitting on my couch watching TV when I heard sirens outside.

I looked out the window and saw policemen putting Ben's dad into the police car.

"Benny" I whispered, running out the door and across the street to his house.

"Benny!" I repeated, this time it was loud.

"Dean"

I turned in the direction of his small voice, hugging him tight.

"What happened" I asked.

"One of the neighbors called the police. I think they've been watching my dad for a while. He was throwing bottles at our house and cursing" he answered.

"Benjamin?"

We turned and saw a beautiful tall woman with dark skin holding a file.

"My name is Evelyn Cross, you need to come with me" she told him.

Ben hugged me before following the woman into a shiny black car.

27th June 2008

"Dean" I heard my mum call from down stairs, "podrías venir aquí por un minuto"

I ran down the stairs and saw my mom standing at the door.

Ben stood next to the woman from the other day.

"Dean, I have to go, but I wanted to say goodbye first" Ben explained.

"I dont understand" I replied.

My mom knelt down to my level and spoke in a kind voice, "mi ángel, Ben is moving away, to Oregon to live with his mom"

"Why?" I questioned.

"Because his papa is going to be away for awhile" she explained.

I still didn't understand.

Ben was my only real friend he couldn't leave.

"He can stay with us" I suggested, hopeful.

"These things are complicated Dean" The woman said, I didn't care to try and remember her name, "You have five minutes"

I hugged Ben tight, at least he didn't wince this time. I quickly ran up tomy bedroom and retrieved my favourite plushie, it was a blue dinosaur and Ben's favorite too.

Then he was gone.