Ten

Music blared through the speakers of my car, Caity and Cora singing loudly from the backseat with an annoyed Reese.

"If you're going to sing can you at least get the lyrics right" They said.

"Lighten up" Caity smiled, "we're going to have so much fun today!"

Reese huffed, though I could tell that they were as excited as the rest of us.

I was at the wheel, tapping my fingers to the beat and bobbing my head.

The opening beat of Mr Brightside by The Killers began, widening my smile.

"Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just fine, gotta gotta be down because I want it all, started out as a kiss how did in end up like this, its was only a kiss, it was only a kiss" I sang, feeling Ben's eyes on me I turned to him briefly.

He had an easy smile on his lips, "I didn't know you could sing"

I shrugged, still bobbing my head.

After the 2 hour drive we finally reached the beach.

"Alright, some safety rules" Caity began, "keep your phones on at all times, if you leave your drink somewhere its dead to you and dont accept drinks from anyone"

We all nodded in agreement and entered the festival.

There were carnival games, a stage with live music and a lot of food trucks and stalls, which smelt amazing.

"Oh my god they have a dunk tank!" Ben pointed out.

"Hey kids" the operator greeted, "wanna play? One of you sits on the platform and the others try to knock 'em down"

We drew rocks and now Cora sat on the small platform in her swim suit, "I hate you guys"

We all threw bean bags, Reese was the one to knock her down, sending her into the water.

"Childhood revenge!" Reese cheered, highfiving the rest of us.

We played a bunch more games and were now sitting on the sand eating pizza and telling stories while listening to the live music.

The sun was setting now and my eyes were fixed on Ben.

He was emersed in a story Reese was telling, the way his lips were curved into a slight smile, and the way the pink and purple sky cast him in a beautiful glow was hypnotic.

I sighed.

"Earth to Dean. Hello?"

I snapped back to reality, realising my friends were staring at me, Ben too.

"Sorry this atmosphere is making me kinda spacey" I replied.

"Well we were saying that Caity, Reese and I were gonna go get ice cream" Cora said, "you want anything?"

"Yeah, anything chocolate please" I smiled.

The three of them left and Ben was staring at me, "what were you thinking about"

He was laying on his back next to me, a dreamy look in his blue eyes.

"Nothing" I replied.

"You sure? You looked pretty far away" he questioned further.

God you're beautiful.

"I guess just that its really beautiful... out here" I blushed.

He smiled, looking out on the ocean, "it really is"

He looked like he was contemplating something, then he got up and offered me his hand.

His hand was warm as he held mine, leading me towards the water.

"Lets swim" he suggested.

"What?" I questioned.

"Yeah, we are at the beach after all"

Once we reached the water he pulled his shirt off, revealing his toned stomach.

"Whoah" I whispered, hoping he didn't hear.

"What was that?" He smirked.

He probably heard, "nothing"

I removed my shirt and tossed it into the sand with his.

Its a good things I'm wearing board shorts.

"You comin'?" He asked, already in the water.

I caught up to him, so we were both up to our hips in water.

We stood enjoying the cool water for a moment, then he splashed water at me.

We went back and forth for a while, in a fit of giggles.

Once we calmed down, we walked back to shore.

After finishing our ice cream, Ben and I were laying on our backs, looking up at the stars.

"You can't see the stars in Chicago" he stated, to which I hummed in response.

This is short and choppy, I'm sorry
Vote and comment your thoughts and ideas for them to get closer.

Thank you for all your support.
-Penny 💕