Chapter 2

"We're going to be late!" Rowan cried.  

"No, we'll make it," Sirius assured her, "We'll make it... I think."  

"You're not much help, are you?"  

"Not at all, really."  

Rowan had had the most incredible night. They'd gone to the Shrieking Shack, where James and Sirius told the rest of them of a fool-proof plan to become Animagi. That way, during the full moons, they could keep Remus company.  

Rowan was the only one reluctant to the idea.  

And now she loved it.  

James had taken the form of a stag and Peter had turned into a small rat. Sirius was proud to find that he was a huge, black dog. And Rowan was surprised to discover she was a red wolf.  

They'd enjoyed the night, which they spent running through the Forbidden Forest and, quite frankly, having a blast! Even Remus, in his human form, grinned and laughed the entire time. James, Peter, and Remus had been smart and left after awhile, when the sky was growing dark. Sirius, however, convinced Rowan to stay with him and run around for a few more minutes. Minutes turned into hours, and they had to sleep in the Forbidden Forest in their Animagus forms. They'd woken up late the next morning, not knowing what time it was, only that classes would have either already started, or would be starting soon.  

They were gaining on the castle, at least, and there were still some students making their way to Herbology. That was a good sign.  

At the edge of the forest, they changed back into human form.  

"Do you think-we'll make it-in time?" Rowan panted as she slipped off her heels.  

"Maybe," Sirius replied, unconvincing.  

She looked over at him and whispered, "Then, I suppose we'll just have to see, now, won't we?"  

At that, she took off racing across the grounds towards the closest entrance, Sirius following closely behind.  

Many times, Rowan found that there was a searing pain at the bottom of her bare feet, which made it quite hard to run much, but they made it to the castle faster than they thought they would, and after just a moment's rest, they swung the door open and hurried inside.  

No one was in the halls anymore.  

No longer running, they hurried down the halls and up the changing stairs to get to the common room, where they had foolishly left all of their books. At the portrait, however, the Fat Lady wouldn't let them in.  

"You do know that classes are starting in about thirty seconds, right?" she asked.  

"Yes," Sirius replied, "We know, now let us in!"  

"Bossy, much?" the Fat Lady muttered as she swung open to let them in.

"I knew we'd be late," Rowan said, reluctant to open the door, "How's my hair?"  

"Messy," Sirius replied, looking her over, pulling a few sticks off of her cloaks or out of her hair. When he had finished, they stared at each other for a minute, blushing, before he pushed the door open and hurried in, Rowan following close behind.  

The class hadn't started yet, but McGonagall was in the process of taking roll call. As she spotted them coming in, the rest of the class turned in their chairs to stare, much to the embarrassment of Rowan and the amusement of Sirius.  

"Ah," McGonagall said, "Mr. Black, Miss Mulciber, thank you for joining us."  

"No need to be thanking us," Sirius said with false modesty, "It's our pleasure."  

Everyone in the class laughed, excepting Professor McGonagall. "Please take yours seats, now."  

Rowan pushed passed Sirius to get to her seat in the front, while he walked casually to his, directly behind her. Every girl giggled at them and James whistled, to Rowan's annoyance. Before she sat down, she glared at him and smacked him on the back of his head with her textbook.  

"What took you guys so long?" he whispered.  

"We slept in a little bit," Sirius explained, "No biggie."  

Suddenly, he stared at Rowan's head. Was something moving in there? He looked over at James, who had wide eyes and was staring at it as well. Even the teacher had her head cocked has a large, long-legged spider crawled onto the top of her head.  

"Miss Mulciber-" McGonagall began.  

"Yeah, yeah, I know I'm late," Rowan interrupted, "You would've expected it from him, but most certainly not me. You're afraid you'll have to give me a detention... I get the picture."  

"Actually," McGonagall said, a bit flustered, "I was going to say that you have a spider on your head."  

"What?!?" Rowan screamed.  

"I said-"  

"No, I know what you said!" Everyone in the class seemed to know that she was deathly afraid of spiders. "Get it off!" she whimpered.  

James, who sat next to her, looked back at Sirius, who was standing up and eyeing the spider carefully, had his textbook ready to squish the arachnid.  

As everybody watched, James stood up slowly and put his hand out, allowing the spider to crawl onto his palm, and then, a bit fidgety, he dropped it on the table. Not even giving it a second to get away, Sirius banged his textbook down on the table, quickly bringing it back up a second later. The noise made almost everyone jump, especially Rowan.  

"Got it!" he announced to the class, collecting a few suppressed giggles from girls in the room.  

McGonagall, however, was not amused. "Congratulations," she said stiffly, "You must be so proud of yourself. Now, sit down."  

As McGonagall continued with roll call, Rowan turned around in her chair, and looking at Sirius's bored expression, she mouthed, "Thanks."  

He smiled in return, mouthing, "Not a problem."  

They sort of just awkwardly stared at each other for a moment before their attention was caught by McGonagall calling their names.  

"I suppose I forgot to mention," she admitted, "Being late is not tolerated in my classroom. Five points from Gryffindor. Each."  

Disappointed in herself a bit, she allowed one more glance back at Sirius before turning back to face the front as Transfiguration began.