Chapter 14

"O.W.L.s are quite possibly the most important tests you will have to take while you are here at Hogwarts," McGonagall explained to the Transfiguration students, "They will decide what classes you are eligible to take next year, and what career you will be educated for. Therefore, you must take it very seriously and do your best to get the highest scores possible. Passing grades are Outstanding, Exceeds Expectations, and Acceptable. Failing grades, however, are Poor, Dreadful, and Troll. I hope you will all aim for Outstanding."  

A Ravenclaw student across the aisle from Rowan raised her hand. She had dark skin, dark eyes, and dark hair. Her name was Edon Verda, and she was one of the brightest witches in Transfiguration.  

"Yes, Ms. Verda?" McGonagall asked.  

"Professor, we learned all of this in the beginning of the year," Edon said, "Why are you explaining it again?"  

"Well, Ms. Verda, many students by now have probably already forgotten what I just said only a moment ago," she explained, "So I can't understand how they could possibly remember it from the beginning of the year."  

Edon nodded her understanding, muttering, "Right."  

"Now," McGonagall continued, "Your tests will begin next week. Instead of going to your regular classes, you will go to whatever class has the O.W.L.s for that day. For example, on Monday, you will go to take your Charms test. On Tuesday you will come here for Transfiguration. Wednesday is Herbology, and Thursday is Defense Against the Dark Arts. Friday is Study of Ancient Runes, and that is the schedule for the first week. Simple, am I correct?"  

There was no response other than a student with a cold coughing.  

"I'll take that as a yes," McGonagall muttered emotionlessly, "Your teachers will tell you what day you have that particular exam. You will not have a test for a particular subject with that subject's teacher, however, so don't expect to receive any help.  

"Are there any questions?" she asked.  

Again, there was no response.  

"Very well," McGonagall sighed, "Class dismissed."  

Everyone stood up and collected their books, hurrying out the door, excited to get outside and run around in the warm, summer air.  

James passed by Rowan and went to Sirius, who was waiting for them. His hair was shorter and his eyes seemed brighter, lively, as he grinned coolly at his friend.  

"I'll meet you two later," Rowan said, "I have to take care of a few things first." She took her books in her arms and started toward Professor McGonagall.  

"Okay," Sirius responded, "See you later, then." At that, he and James hurried out the door.  

"Professor?" she called when it was only herself and the older woman in the classroom, "Could I have a word with you?"  

"Why, of course, Ms. Mulciber," McGonagall responded, motioning for her to come closer, "What is it?"  

"Well," she began, a little quietly and awkwardly, "It's sort of personal..."  

"Whatever it is, dear, I wouldn't tell anybody unless I felt I absolutely had to," McGonagall insisted.  

"Okay," Rowan said, taking a deep breath. "Well, you see, since...since my mother and brother passed, I've been having these nightmares."  

"About what?" McGonagall inquired.  

"Um, I'm looking at myself in my old mirror, the one in my old house in London, and I...well, I just look dreadful. And there's this voice, and it keeps whispering in my head, and it's not my voice."