Chapter 18

"Ouch," Sirius muttered without the slightest hint of shock. He'd expected that. He'd just hoped it would last a little longer...  

"What the hell are you thinking?" Rowan demanded, "I have a boyfriend! You can't just kiss me, I'm with somebody!"  

"I know," he said quietly, "I figured it was a risk worth taking."  

"You're the one who broke up with me, remember?" she reminded him, "What, now you want to get back together or something?" Without waiting for an answer, she crossed her arms and said, "Well, I'm sorry but that's not going to happen. Me and Kyle are happy."  

"Kyle?" Sirius asked, a bubble of laughter escaping his throat, "What a square name. Ha!"  

She fumed.  

"Kyle is not a square!"  

She kept going on and on and on and on about how this Kyle person was awesome and funny and handsome and smart and blah, blah, blah. Sirius was getting incredibly bored of hearing about him until something she said popped out at him.  

"...and I think I love him."  

If she hadn't already done it, that had. She loved this square? That was insane! How could she choose a square over him? It was ridiculous.  

"What did you just say?" he demanded.  

"I said I love him," she repeated in a sigh.  

Everything about Sirius went immediately icy cold.  

"Oh, for Christ's sake," she muttered, "Sirius, we broke up. I found somebody else who I love and who loves me..." At that moment, a light gust of wind lifted the sleeve of her shirt up a bit to reveal dark purple, maybe even black, skin.  

"What the hell happened to your arm?" he questioned, stepping forward.  

She took a step back and pulled her sleeve back down. "Nothing...I banged it on something is all..."

"It doesn't look like you just 'banged' it," he pointed out stepping forward again.  

She stepped backward again. "Sirius, I'm just really clumsy, I hurt myself, it's nothing big-"  

"Yes it is," he insisted, taking another step forward and gently grasping her wrist so she couldn't walk away, "I want you to tell me if something's wrong."  

She sighed, "I'm sorry."  

"Sorry for being injured?" he asked quietly, smiling a bit. He moved his other hand to her short sleeve and gently pulled it up to see the bruise.  

"Oh my God," he whispered, his eyes suddenly wide with shock, "This is not a bump, Rowan."  

She was silent with defeat. He'd found out her little secret, and now, rather than being shocked and sympathetic, he was pissed.  

"The square is doing this, isn't he!" he exclaimed, than quickly looked around. No one else was in the street, no one was peeping through windows, no one was around to hear them, but still, he felt the need to get somewhere private.  

He picked up his bag in one hand and kept a hold on her arm with the other, then eyed around for somewhere no one would see them or hear them, and spotted an alley a little down the road. He set for it, dragging her behind him.  

Once inside the protection of the alley, he pinned her to the wall and demanded, "Tell me what's going on, Rowan. I want to know the truth."  

She shook her head and moaned, "Ouch... That hurts."