CH 3

"That couldn't possibly have gone worse," Liz hissed to Travis as he led her down a dark hallway to the back of the stage.

"No, I mean, it looked fine from where I stood," Travis offered, but couldn't hold back his laugh.

"Christ," Liz moaned. "How does one go about killing a Paul McCartney?"

Travis stopped in front of a massive man wearing an equally massive suit and held up his laminate. The man pressed a headset to his ear for a moment and silently nodded for them to pass. A few steps later and they were in a much smaller green room with only a few people standing about.

"About ten minutes," Travis said checking his watch. Liz felt her nerves jolt with the realization that she was close enough to hear what was happening on stage. The muffled stage banter, the forced laughter of the crowd and the nominee montage playing at a decibel far too high for the theater they were in.

"Lizzy," a dark voice and a sudden hand on her waist made Liz jump.

"Jesus, Johnny," she sighed. "How is it that you can still sneak up on me when you dress like a damn wind chime?"

He laughed quietly before eyeing her dress. "You look ravishing," he purred, leaning in to kiss both her cheeks.

"Always far too charming, Johnny," Liz laughed uncomfortably, then much quieter, "Thank you for doing this with me."

His eyes softened at her obvious nervousness. "Remember Lizzy, just read your lines to me. I'm up there with you, okay?"

Liz swallowed hard and nodded. "Yeah."

Travis appeared at her side again. "Ready?"

"No."

Johnny silently took Liz's hand and led her into the darkness just off stage. A woman appeared out of nowhere, startling them both and shined a flashlight at their feet. Johnny held Liz steady as she tiptoed over a maze of wires and gaffing tape. When they were clear of the backstage obstacles, the woman handed a red envelope to Johnny and disappeared back into the dark. They stood together listening to the terrible jokes the comedian host was spitting out.

"Do you remember that night in Saint Thomas?" Johnny asked quietly, glancing over at Liz.

"Not particularly, on account of the moonshine," Liz laughed softly and thought back. She had finalized her divorce that morning and after a long day on set, Johnny found her nursing a large bottle of Caribbean moonshine on the edge of a dark dock. "I remember you saving me from a watery demise," she added a bit bitterly.

"Not sure who saved who," he whispered, his eyes locked on the Grammy host.

Liz stared at Johnny for a moment and took a breath to reply, but the host had just finished mispronouncing her last name and the spotlight swung around to them. Liz was momentarily blinded, hearing Johnny over the applause, "Smile, Lizzy."

He gently guided her across the shiny stage towards tiny podium. As they stopped behind the microphone, Liz could hear the blood in her ears and feel her heart in her throat. Suddenly remembering to breathe, she gulped in a deep breath and turned to face the massive crowd. The lights were hot, her dress suddenly felt too tight and she desperately wished there were something more substantial than a narrow podium to steady herself on. The applause quickly died down allowing Johnny and Liz to work through their lines, peppered with horribly written jokes. As soon as the nominee montage started Liz leaned to Johnny, "Who writes this shit?" she whispered.

"I've heard they have an entire board room filled with drunken SNL rejects," he whispered back, pulling a shiny award out from a shelf on the podium just out of view of the audience and cameras.

Liz was still laughing when the camera panned back to them. Johnny struggled a little with the red envelope, finally just ripping the side of it off and opening it to reveal the winner. He glanced at the calligraphy and immediately handed it to Liz, surprising her as he was slated to announce the winner. Liz read the writing and felt her heart return to her throat. "Concrete and Go-," Liz jumped the eruption of applause and realization that she would most likely make a complete ass of herself in front of Dave for the third or fourth time tonight. "Concrete and Gold, Foo Fighters!" she managed a bright smile and applause as Taylor was the first to the stage. He bounced towards the podium as the rest of the band made their way behind him.

Liz held the award out to Taylor expecting him to take it and turn to the microphone, but he wrapped her in a tight bear hug instead. She laughed at his excitement, stopping short when he dipped his mouth to her ear. "I don't know what's going on with Depp, but he's got nothing on my boy," he said just loud enough for her to hear. She laughed awkwardly as he released her and took the award from her hands, starting his thank you speech as Pat, Chris, Rami, Nate and finally Dave greeted Johnny and Liz.

"Congratulations!" Liz offered her hand as Dave approached her. He only grinned and pulled her into a quick hug, kissing her cheek as he released her. Hoping her blush wasn't visible on national television, she turned and joined Johnny a few steps away from the celebrating band.

"Your favorite," Johnny said quietly, glancing over at her.

"He's not my favorite," Liz snapped, completely flustered now.

Johnny stood quietly for a moment. "I meant the band, but now I know what that little embrace was all about," he snapped back.

Liz discreetly lifted the back of her hand to her face to make sure it wasn't actually on fire but remained silent. They watched the band finish their thank you remarks and turn away from the podium as a group. Liz forced a smile, remembering in her presenter packet that she was to wait for the band to escort her off the stage. Johnny held his arm out to lead Liz just as Dave was about to reach them, but Taylor in his excitement leaped onto Dave's back and held the Grammy above his head, screaming in victory. The commotion distracted Johnny enough for Liz to slip away and approach Nate, who was making a beeline for the curtain. She suppressed a sigh of relief and linked her arm with his, while Nate looked over at her in surprise. "So which of the Tri-Cities did you grow up in?" she asked casually.

Nate raised an eyebrow at her. "... Richland?" He had a touch of suspicion in his voice.

"I have family in Kennewick. I grew up a bit further west," Liz explained.

Nate spun around to face her as they reached backstage. "You're kidding me!" he laughed.

Liz smiled and shook her head, "I only miss the Palouse sometimes."

Nate nodded; elated he had met someone that actually knew where Richland, Washington and what the Palouse was when Dave caught up put his arm around Nate. "I hate to break this up, but we have to get our shit together," he said coolly.

"Sorry," Liz stepped back to give them room to pass. "Congratulations, again."

As Dave steered Nate into the dark backstage, Liz could hear Nate speaking, "Dude! She's from Washington!"

She held her breath so she could hear Dave's reply, but Johnny appeared beside her. "RCA party or are you eager to watch them perform?" he asked.

"Neither," Liz shot back and she headed off in search of Travis.