CH 18

"So you aren't sisters?" Chris asked, wagging a finger between Josie and Liz.

Liz shook her head, "Nope! Just look alarmingly alike," she laughed.

The sound tech, whose name turned out to be Travis as well, had convinced Liz and Josie to come backstage after the show. They stood together in the corner of the tiny room as it filled with people.

"That's so fucking weird that you're even the same height," Chris marveled, still looking from one to the other.

"You could make a lot of money in the porn industry," Rami said as he slid next to Chris.

Chris turned to him with a bit of a disgusted look, "Dude," he said simply.

Josie burst out laughing, finally feeling the effects of three beers and now a whiskey and coke. Liz couldn't help but laugh as well, this entire night seemed like a ridiculous dream. There was no sign of Dave, so she talked with Chris for a while about the Gimme Gimmes, his lip tattoo, and soccer. Eventually, they noticed that the room was beginning the clear out. "We should head home," Liz said, looking back at Josie who was lazily leaning against the wall in a very close conversation with Rami.

"Sorry Dave couldn't make it back here," Chris looked over his shoulder at the crowd. "Sometimes the press gets more questions in than they should. Do you know how to get out?" he asked, looking at Josie with concern.

"I think my security guy knows the way," Liz replied. "Thanks for letting us back here," she added, "We had a lot of fun."

"You're welcome at any of our shows," Chris laughed and gave her a quick hug, "Especially if you invite more Muppets."

"Hey girl, we gotta jet," she said, sidling up to Josie and putting an arm around her waist.

Rami stared a little too hard at Liz's hand on Josie's hip before grinning at them. "I can walk you out," he said quietly.

"Nope, we got it!" Liz said, dragging her friend away from the wall and through the room. She let out a sigh when she saw Chris give her a knowing smile and lead Rami away.

"Down the hallway, here we go!" Liz sang happily as she led her wasted friend through the maze of hallways that was the Roxy's backstage. "Not gonna puke! We're gonna make it to the car, turn on some fucking Dio and then we're getting some fucking tacos and then-" Liz stopped short when she rounded a corner marked with a glowing green exit sign and saw Dave at the end of a long, dimly lit hallway. He was leaned against the black cinderblock wall with a twenty-something blonde less than an inch from his face. She had his arms pinned above his head and Liz could see the glint of a smile on her face.

Josie ducked under Liz's arm and started down the hallway, "What in the actual fuck, Grohl!" she slurred and screamed at the same time.

Liz stepped back when Dave's eyes snapped to hers and she quickly pulled Josie back towards the backstage area. "Run, Josie!" Liz hissed trying to get as far away as she could.

"I'm fucking trying!" Josie wheezed.

Liz could hear arguing from the hallway they were just in, then Dave yelling her name. She looked up and down the hallway realizing Dave knew this place much better than she did and began trying door knobs. Finding a door slightly ajar, she ran inside and pulled Josie with her. The tiny equipment room was almost pitch black, the only light coming from the cracked door. She held her breath as Dave ran by, still calling her name. She slapped her hand over Josie's mouth when she heard her mumble something and peeked out of the door to see if the coast was clear. Dave walked back into view and she felt her throat tighten at the panicked look on his face. He stopped just on the other side of the door and pointed down the hallway.

"Travis!" he called and Liz swore under her breath. "Have you seen Liz?"

"I'm looking for her, too," Travis' voice echoed down the brick hallway.

"Shit," Liz breathed and looked back at Josie with wide eyes.

There was a momentary pause before Liz's cell phone rang, causing both girls to jump. They scrambled at her jeans back pocket trying to silence the Led Zeppelin song blaring from the phone. They finally managed to get the phone out of her pocket, but Josie knocked it out of Liz's hands before she could stop the ringtone. They both dove to the floor, with Liz finally getting a hold of the phone and pressing the mute button. They crouched on the floor in the dark for a long moment when the door slowly creaked open, spilling light into the room. Josie sat back on her heels and glared at Dave while Liz remained on her knees and elbows, trying to hide behind her hair. When she heard Travis walking down the hallway, she finally looked up.

"Oh, hey," she said nonchalantly, squinting at Dave's backlit silhouette.

"The fuck are you two doing?" Travis asked as he appeared at Dave's side, still holding his cell phone with Liz's name glowing on the screen.

"Just... you know... on a taco run. Singing some Zeppelin," Liz held up her phone with a weak smile, trying to lighten the mood a little. She couldn't see his face, but she was sure Dave was glaring daggers at her.

"Ugh, don't mention tacos," Josie whined and slumped forward onto Liz's back. "I feel like I'm gonna puke."

Liz looked up at Travis who darted into the room and picked Josie off of Liz.

"Down the hallway, to your right," Dave said quietly as Travis passed him carrying Josie.

Liz listened to his footsteps hurry away as she slowly sat up. Dave reached his hand down to help her up and she eyed it for a moment, noting the fresh fingernail marks on his wrists.

"Thank you," she whispered, letting him pull her to standing, though she quickly dropped her hand from his. "I better go make sure she's okay," she added, pointing over her shoulder to where Travis and Josie had gone. She forced a little smile before turning on her heel and taking a step.

"Liz," Dave called after her with a frustrated tone to his voice.

"It's fine, man!" she called over her shoulder. "We had a great time tonight! Thank you!" She increased her speed and let out a deep breath as she rounded the corner in search of Travis and Josie.

*

Dave watched Liz disappear around the corner and felt his stomach drop. He turned to the wall and reared back to punch it, only to remember he had another gig coming up and a broken hand was a bad idea. Fuck, he thought, of all the fucking times for that girl to get in my face. He turned to head back towards his dressing room when he saw Taylor leaning against a doorway several feet away.

"Don't even fucking start with me, man," Dave warned as he brushed past him.

Taylor held up his hands as if to say I told you so.