CH 45

Liz leaned into Dave as they stood on the escalator step, leaving the deserted terminal for the baggage claim where Travis and Taylor were to meet them.

"I think we might have lucked out on the media," Dave said, looking around the empty building.

"They're probably all at the fucking theater," Liz grumbled. She was already exhausted and her intense day hadn't even started yet.

They stepped off the escalator and headed towards the exit when Travis ran from behind a security wall with a panicked look on his face, "Liz," he whispered harshly, "Wait there!" They stopped in their tracks and looked at each other in confusion as Travis approached them. "There's a wall of people out there waiting for you," Travis panted, trying to catch his breath.

"Never mind," Dave muttered, turning away in frustration.

"I would suggest you say goodbye now," Travis said quietly, his eyes darting between Liz and Dave.

"Yeah," Liz whispered, though she wasn't ready, "Yeah, okay."

She dropped her bag on the tile floor and threw her arms around Dave's waist. "Thanks for ambushing me the other day," she smiled when she thought about the moment he stepped into her office just a few days ago.

Dave's face stayed impassive, increasing Liz's anxiety. "When can I see you again?" he asked, his voice strained.

"I'm a little busy today," she desperately tried to keep the mood light, "What are you doing tonight?"

"I have a gig."

"Oh," she looked down at the collar of his shirt for a moment, "Well, my flight doesn't leave until eight tomorrow night. Maybe I can see you then?" He finally put his arms around her and Liz sighed, seriously considering skipping the entire day just to spend just a few more hours with him.

"Keep your phone with you, okay?" he pressed his lips into her hair.

"Yeah, sure," she said quietly. She looked over Dave's shoulder to Travis, who was fidgeting nervously. "I have to go."

Neither of them moved as they held onto each other, listening to the photographers jostling for position just beyond the security wall.

"I swear to god, Dave if you don't kiss me, I'm going to cry," she tried to laugh, but her voice cracked, giving her away.

He finally smiled a bit, "If I kiss you, you'll leave."

"Yeah, dummy," she laughed, "that's how goodbye kisses work."

"Is there anything sadder than an airport goodbye kiss, though?" he asked, trying to keep her in his arms until the very last possible second.

"All right," she said, pulling herself out of his grasp, "We'll make this an airport hello kiss, then." She backed up several feet, "Ready?"

Dave grinned at her and braced himself before nodding. She broke into a run, launching herself into his arms and kissing him hard as he caught her. She locked her ankles around his waist and tangled her hands in his hair, smiling against his lips. All her anxiety and fear about what lay ahead melted away and she wished so badly that he could just be there to make her laugh throughout the day, but the very last thing she wanted was a media frenzy at his doorstep. He had just finished a grueling tour and needed to recover, not fight cameras and interviews every time he walked outside. The media circus just feet away were getting louder and more agitated, pulling her back to the present. She untangled herself from him and slid down his body, forcing a smile.

"I'll see you before I go home, okay?" she looked over at Travis who was now standing just behind Dave holding her bag.

"Good luck today," he said quietly, his smile just as forced as hers. He squeezed her hands and let her go, stepping back to resist the urge to hold her again.

"Thanks," she replied, her voice just a whisper. "I'll see you soon." She dipped her head and hurried to Travis, taking her bag and throwing it over her shoulder before stopping just behind the security wall. Dave watched her shoulders rise in a deep breath before she turned back to him, flashing a bright smile and walking into the explosion of lights and screams.

"Ms. Colbert!"

"Where have you been hiding out the past few days?"

"Any comment on being favored to win tonight?"

"Where is Dave?"

Liz kept her head down as Travis pulled her through the uproar, letting her hair fall around her face in a curtain. She wondered why all these people were awake this early in the morning just to see her walk out of a goddamn airport without saying a word. Travis led her out onto the sidewalk where even more people were waiting, screaming her name and fighting for a quality photo. She practically dove into the back of a black SUV, almost slamming a photographer's arm in the door in the process. She grabbed the man's wrist and shoved, latching the door as soon as it was free of errant human limbs.

Travis leaped into the driver's seat and leaned onto the wheel, looking back at her. "I'd say things have gotten a bit more intense since we were in LA last."

*

"Disco!" Dave turned at the sound of Taylor's voice, spotting him near an abandoned ticket counter.

"Hey," he said quietly once he reached him.

Taylor stared at him a moment before sighing, "Oh, dude." He pulled him into a hug, not caring who was watching. "It didn't work?"

"No, it went great," Dave replied, hugging him back.

Taylor jumped back in surprise. "Then why the fuck do you look like she threw your heart in a wood chipper?"

Dave shifted his bag on his shoulder and stepped past him, a faint smile on his face.

"I know that look!" Taylor shouted after him.

Dave walked faster, hoping they wouldn't be noticed by the mass of cameras.

"You fucking love her!" Taylor ran after him, bouncing on the tips of his toes.

"Can we go, please?" Dave begged.

Taylor hopped along next to him as they left the terminal and hurried down the sidewalk to his red pickup. Just as they reached the truck, a shout caught their attention as several men with large cameras raced towards them down the sidewalk. Taylor quickly unlocked the truck and they jumped in, managing to get the doors locked behind them just as the group surrounded the little truck, the camera flashes glaring off the glass.

"You're gonna scratch the paint!" Taylor yelled, starting the engine and shifting it into gear.

"Thanks for picking me up," Dave said as Taylor gunned the truck away from the curb, trying not to run anybody over.

"It's cool, man. I love being attacked by cameramen at four in the morning."