CH 15

"What," Dave growled into his phone. He checked the clock next to his bed, surprised that it read 7:30 am. He couldn't remember the last time he had slept that long.

"I fucking told you, man," Taylor shouted. "She's fucking Depp and you're her side chick."

Dave dragged his hand down his face, trying to wake up. "Dude, it's 7 in the morning."

Taylor paused a moment, confused. "You're usually up at 5, though. You okay?" He listened to Dave's silence, "I'll be there in ten," and hung up the phone.

Dave looked at his phone screen, tossed it across his bed and buried his face back in the pillows.

*

Fifteen minutes later he was standing in his kitchen swearing at his coffee maker while Taylor set up his laptop on the table. Finally pouring himself a cup of coffee, he dropped into a chair next to Taylor.

"I'd offer you some, but fuck you," Dave grumbled, still not fully awake.

Taylor ignored him and turned the laptop to point at the screen. "Look."

Dave leaned forward and squinted at the screen. "Need your glasses, old timer?" Taylor taunted.

"Yes, asshole," Dave snapped, standing up to grab them off the kitchen counter. He didn't sit back down, just leaned over the table to look at the laptop where a picture of Liz leaving a restaurant was blown up on the screen. "So? She had a business meeting last night," he shrugged but kept his eyes on the picture. She was wearing a short black dress with stiletto sandals and her leather moto jacket, and Dave made a mental note to download that photo to his phone.

Taylor dramatically clicked the mouse and another photo of Liz popped up. This time, Johnny was right behind her with his hand just touching her lower back, grinning at the camera as they climbed into the same SUV.

"They probably carpooled or something," Dave said, standing back up and ripping his glasses off his face. "This is high school drama shit, Taylor."

"That's what I'm trying to fucking tell you, man!" Taylor jumped up. "You don't need this shit in your life! Actresses are nothing but trouble."

"No, I mean you lurking TMZ for Liz is some high school drama shit," Dave shot back. "That website exists solely on creating false stories and you of all people should know that."

"Do you want to bring more TMZ into our lives?" Taylor's voice increased. "Do you want fucking more photographers and all that shit everywhere we go? Do you want every question asked in an interview to be about her? You want a celebrity nickname? Diz or Lave. Pick one, fucker, cause the media will do it for you if you don't."

"I don't know, I kinda like Diz," Dave quipped, trying to lighten the mood a little.

"Don't," Taylor warned, pointing a finger at him. "We have a good thing here, man. Please don't fuck it up."

Dave only nodded, staring into his cup of coffee.

"I gotta take my kids to school," Taylor said softly. "I'll see you later." He grabbed his laptop and let himself out the front door.

*

Liz sat on the white couch in her hotel room staring blankly at the woman in front of her. It was the second interview of the morning and Travis still hadn't returned with her coffee.

"Any updates on the love life?" the woman grinned. Liz stared at her bleached white teeth and over-filled lips.

"No," Liz said flatly, her eyes darting to Mark.