chapter 5

The wedding rituals began a week ago and I completely ignored everything. I shut myself from everyone. I'm hell angry with that praveen for ruining my life and with my parents for blackmailing me. I refused to go on those so called dates that they arranged.
It was on the engagement day I saw him after that day. He still was smiling where as I was fuming but forced a smile to satisfy the people around me. He slipped the ring quickly where as I took ages to put it as I was engrossed in so many thoughts. Once I put it I quickly pinched his finger and smirked, where as he was still smiling. What the?? This guy is such a urghhh. Here I was dressed like a barbie. Yuk! I hate makeup! Yes you heard it right. I have the beauty what God gave me, I don't need any artificial stuff to get me more prettier. What I believe is inner beauty. My friends called me oldie and unfashionable. But I know what's right for me.

All this while I didn't have anyone to talk to, all my friends are abroad and with busy schedules. Only my cousin was here with me. But she too was married and still in college hence she too was busy.
Just think, what it would be like to be surrounded by all old ladies and listening to their lectures on how to become a good daughter in law and wife. I always zoned out, thinking about my messed life and how to deal with it.
My mom always said for a marraige life to be successful there should be love. Haha what is God trying to do with my life.

The marriage day dawned and today I was decorated like an expensive doll. Wrapped by an heavy Saree and several necklaces around my neck. Everyone told I was pretty where as I disagreed. My mom started her emotional drama. She started tearing and automatically I was about to cry. one of the aunties scolded my mom and hence we stopped.
Gosh these people removed my specs and I was finding it so hard to see. Oh my poor fate. I cried to give me my specs but they refused. "Aunty I'll not leave u if I trip and fall or make a joke of myself in front of everyone" I glared at her
These ladies told me to look down shyly. I gave them a what the? Look. Shy me. Hahaha I seriously don't know how to get shy. Urghhh. "Diya walk slowly" they hissed. What now. This is so hard. Just this one Diya and it'll be over. Come on you can do it.
I was made to sit next to praveen. I slowly looked up. There were many people seated and looking at me. I heard some telling " Good choice! Shez very pretty " it just boiled my blood. These people think beauty is only makeup and dressing. Such idiots.
Suddenly someone came close to my ear and whispered " you look gorgeous! " the voice sounded familiar. It's when I looked up and saw that face. It was praveen. For a second I felt as if my heart skipped a beat. Hez mere whisper itself gave me goosebumps. I mean like no man has ever complimented me. I felt different, and automatically looked down and smiled and whispered a "thank you". I knew he might be smiling.
Oh wait! Is this what is like to be shy. O god! We were performing all the rituals and all this while I refused to look at his face because of this newfound thing 'shying'. I never felt this before. He tied the holy thread around my neck. I felt something new. And put the the rings and kept vermillion on my forehead.
Now I'm a married woman. We took blessings from our parents.

*finally marriage is over!!*