iii. the library-worker who hates books

Chapter 3 - the library-worker who hates books

DAY 2

TESSA THOMAS HAD NO IDEA why she had thought that going to work in this library would be a good idea. After all, she had never before so much as entered it.

And when she did, even she could tell that there was something wrong.

Upon entry there was the non-fiction area, and several books that she skim-read the spines of were: Monty Python (ironically, considering the fact that that was the book she attempted to name in order to land this job) and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Even if she had never entered this library before she had entered the school's library, and she was pretty sure that Harry Potter belonged in fantasy fiction.

As she began to walk further in, nearing where she knew the front desk to be she could hear Snap Out Of It by the Arctic Monkeys being played.

She looked to see Axel Stone, merrily chewing upon a bag of Ruffles crisps, his phone playing the said song next to him with a book in hand.

Surely he had heard her enter, and yet he payed her no mind, continuing to nod along to the beat of the music whilst she stood there like Alice lost in Wonderland for the first time.

Finally, she coughed.

His blue-green eyes shot up to hers and he plastered upon his face a very fake smile, "welcome to Redstock library, how can we help you?"

Tessa rolled her eyes at his mocking tone, "I'm here to start work."

He nodded, his fake smile becoming very large and mischievous, "good. You'll start with ensuring all the books are on the correct shelves, in alphabetical order by author's last name, if you have any inquiries then I'll be here."

She nodded, wondering how to use this as an opportunity to speak to him, and to somehow persuade him not to end his life in thirteen days, before deciding that she would think about it whilst beginning to sort the books, after all, she wouldn't be talking to him here if she got fired from her job.

Moving back to where she saw the non-fiction books she frowned as she saw that there were far more than just Harry Potter and Monty Python being out of place. Far, far more.

She scowled, calling out to him, "there are loads out of place."

"I know," his voice held a cheery ring to it that she had rarely heard, with narrowed eyes she walked out from the shelves and back into the sight of the front desk.

With her voice accusatory she said, "you messed up the shelves, didn't you?"

His eyes glanced up to meet hers, sparkling, "I did."

Tessa huffed, inquiring, "why?"

"You, your 'boyfriend', and your goons made my life a living hell for my entire school life. I think I deserve a little retribution," he informed her, going back to looking at his book as a Three Day's Grace song came on, "oh, and karma's a bitch Theresa Thomas."

Despite having lost his attention to the book within his arms, Tessa found herself questioning, "we can't have been the only reason. Why were you going to kill yourself?"