viii. the boy who was found out

A/N please remember to vote and comment, it really is motivational and does get updates out quicker! Btw, thank you so much for 80 reads!!

Chapter 8 - the boy who was found out

DAY 5

WHEN TESSA THOMAS awoke that morning, she felt just a little bit more confident than the last morning. Though she would never admit it to him, Axel's words had given her strength in a way that nobody else's ever had.

Have a little faith in yourself, her Auntie Callin had said.

And Tessa had never believed.

She went about her morning routine as usual, though her smile as she did so being rather unusual. Such a smile, however, disappeared as soon as she walked down the stairs, and her mother barked:

"No breakfast," as Tessa reached for the cereal bowl, "you're big enough. And you've a shoot this afternoon."

And then, the mood disintegrated; and she forced her momentary giddiness aside. Hell, this was supposed to be about saving him. And she couldn't even do that. Instead she was letting his words comfort her.

She couldn't help him, she couldn't stand up for herself when she was so far beaten down; she was of no use to anyone.

She elbowed her way out of the door, and straight towards her car, which, admittedly, cost more than some people's houses.

She all but ripped open the door and got in, her anger overriding any other emotions on the way to school, only, when she finally arrived, and sat there within her silver Porsche, gazing at the wheel, she felt herself snap.

She felt herself smash.

She felt herself break.

Tears were pouring down her face before she knew it, forcing their way down her porcelain face as she cried and cried.

Idly, she wondered of the last time she had truly cried like this. When she was seven, she thought, when Catherine's lies and her mother's cruelty had finally gotten too much and she had broke like some china doll.

"I'll never be enough," she found herself whispering. The opening of her mouth allowed the salty tears to flow in as the truth fell off her lips.

She'd never be enough, not for them, at least.

When she gazed back at the clock, she realised that she had been in the car for more than an hour, and cursed her own vulnerability.

She checked her make up in the mirror, and realised she looked like a banshee. And yet she didn't care.

She tilted her head at herself, fixing her reflection with a determined stare as she wiped her face clean of an substances.

She didn't want to wear make up today; and so she wouldn't.

Perhaps, such a move was not as drastic as she would have like but it was a start. It was the start of controlling her own life.

And so she got out of the car, after changing the flat boots from her mother's winter collection into heeled boots from some random store she couldn't even remember. And then she headed inside the building, late.