vii. the girl who ate

A/N thank you so much for 62 views! It means a lot when this book is my all ❤️

Chapter 7 - the girl who ate

DAY 4

~•~•~•~

AXEL TURNER watched as Tessa Thomas moved to leave the library at the end of her shift. Plucking up his courage, he called out her name, stopping her in her steps.

She turned to him, blonde hair whirling around as her ice blue eyes piercing into him. The obnoxious, selfish, cheerleader always had a way of looking at him that always made him feel so vulnerable and self-conscious.

He hated it.

"You're not going straight home tonight," he informed her, forcing a cheerful tone as she raised a brow, "we're going out to get food."

She opened her mouth immediately to shut him down, catching herself in the act of almost calling him one of the degrading nicknames that she always had for those not on the same level as her.

But the vulnerability - the so evident fear of rejection - that shone in his green-blue eyes, the reminder of the reason why she was even in this to begin with. To save him.

She'd only be making it worse if she added to his fear of rejection.

And, maybe, just maybe, she saw a bit of herself in him. The constant fear of her mother's displeasure, what lead to her anorexia to begin with.

She sighed, "okay," she stated, resigned, "where are we going?"

She grabbed her black jacket off of the hanger near the door.

He gave her a small smirk, "you'll find out soon."

~•~•~•~

"A PIZZA JOINT?" Tessa inquired as they pulled up at Joe's Pizzeria, just out of town.

He regarded her with a raised brow, "you can't say that you don't like pizza, who doesn't like pizza?"

She inclined her head to the side, trying not to smile as he tentatively inquired, "you do like pizza, don't you?"

"Yes," she informed him, this time offering him said smile, "I like pizza."

"Good," he said, turning to observe the waiter coming towards them.

The waiter queried, "have you booked?"

"Yes," Axel informed the man, "two for Turner."

The waiter checked the bookings before informing the school's resident mysterious loner, "right this way."

Tessa, meanwhile, was slightly confused and inquired of Axel, "you booked? When? You didn't phone when we were on the way."

He looked slightly sheepish, "I'd been optimistic that you would say 'yes' and booked ahead."

She couldn't help but laugh slightly at his expression of sheepishness before they both headed to sit down within the booth.