Chapter 4 - The Reality

I didn't know anything about Albert calling Noberto or if they could finally speak or not. But I knew that I was continuing at Fritz's Mansion. The days were similar to the first day in terms of what I had to do, which was it and watch. They were getting longer though. Noberto never released us before late evening since the light continued till long. Whether he was making progress the painting or not was not known since it was not allowed to look at the painting while it was work in progress.

Greta continued to sit or lie in the same pose for hours together every day. I didn't get any modelling experience but I did learn to use the toaster and the microwave. I also learned where most things were kept and could manage a quick meal on my own if Greta decided to stick around Noberto during the breaks. I would make food for her too. And one day I even made it for Noberto. It was simple pasta but he didn't touch it. The plate was lying untouched full day. In fact to think of it, I had not seen him eat anything on that day or others.

Thinking he might not like pasta or others cooking food for him or any other reason, I decided not to interfere again. Everyone had a right to their choice, especially in their own house so I decided to keep to myself. Greta was usually chatty but I realized she was moody as well. There were times when she would be gloomy and pouty all day. Or days when she would continue to pester him even when he looked not interested. I don't know what their relationship was but it was complicated.

I even heard them talking loudly to each other once. Their voices could be heard till the kitchen. I decided to stay put in the kitchen till things had quieten down. Finally when I had joined them back, they had resume their positions on either side of the easel. It appeared nothing was different but the air around the room certainly spoke otherwise. Something had happened. But I again decided, it was none of my business and I should give them their privacy.

That evening Greta had hurried out faster than usual. I had even wondered if would wait for me. By the time I reached out the estate gates, she had already sat in her friend's car and driven away. She had not even offered me a lift like they usually did every time. Not that I accepted but today her friend was already waiting for her at the gates. She must have called him earlier.

This was two days back. Nobody mentioned anything. I also went about my things that is getting bored watching the painting being made. I had thought of exploring the house or the garden or even the small market at the other end of the road but controlled myself. Even though I had nothing to do, it was still my job and I couldn't stroll around as if I am on a picnic. He wanted me to watch, so watch it, I will. Whatever that was needed to ensure I get the pay at the end of the week, which was fast approaching.

Today was the sixth day of my new work and on my way to work, I was prepared to live through another long, boring and uneventful day at Fritz's mansion.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

I had learnt the backdoor entrance and started using it from my second day. Today also I entered the house from the back door and went to the painting hall. I had decided to call it painting hall as any other person would call his study room. This was the place where they painted. Meaning Noberto painted, Greta posed and I did nothing.

As I entered the room, I saw Noberto was sitting on the couch, usually the place assigned for Greta. He was wearing no shirt and his beautiful torso was all on display. I was finding difficult to avert my eyes from the incredible view but I forced myself to lower my eyes thinking of work ethics or something like it.

I turned around to look for Greta but she was nowhere to be seen. This was different. Greta was always here before me or with me though she had never stayed at the night. At least not in last five days since I had started working. I turned back to him and asked in a low voice, "Where is Greta?"