Chapter 62 - Not Anymore

Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike vs David Guetta fet. Kiiara - Complicated, another gem by David Guetta and a song that fits so well with WLAHC and what Melanie is going through right now. Read on the chapter with the song on.

****

Life is nothing but an unimaginable maze of questions and answers. What we know as the end of road, can actually be start of a new journey, in another realm, in another space. 

I never knew this till I lived a completely new life all over again.

What's amazing is that no matter how down you are, how utterly desolate your think your life, there is always a way to fight back and collect the shredded threads of your life together and make it worth living again. I was no longer the Melanie I had known myself to be. I was neither the shy and innocent young girl who didn't know how to face the world, nor the shrewd and cunning fashion model who would twist the world around her fingers.

I was a new person again. A woman who had left her past behind and moved on. Truly moved on. As best it was humanly possible to move on. The only thing constant in my life was Raul, my son - the center part of my soul, God's gift to me.

But I knew I had to make a clean cut from my past life. Not that there was much remaining to keep me connected. Two men who had been the central part of my life, two men whom I had loved in my own complicated way and eventually lost to life. Irony of my love life was that I lost both of them together. One of them was asked to leave by me while the other decided to leave me because he thought I was still with the first one.

I didn't know what was more bitter, that I lost both of them or that I lost both of them for each other. I didn't know. I would never know. But what I did know was the life in Paris was no longer possible.

After getting discharged from the hospital, I had collected my broken heart and left for Provins immediately. I knew despite whatever had happened between us, Albert would not desert Raul, but I couldn't tax him any further. He had suffered a lot already and by making him act as if everything was normal in front of Raul would be like extracting the last drops of blood from his already bleeding heart.

I had to move on.

On my way to Provins, my silly little heart had tried to man oeuvre me again. It had tried to influence me again. I was so lost and broken, I had not even realized the full extent of what my heart was up to. But before I could make a complete fool of myself, I was jolted back to reality. And how!

Pearl had come to take me back home from the hospital. I had told her not to come but she didn't listen. She wanted to ensure I was safe and comfortable after the terrible accident. What she didn't know was that I had had the worst ordeal to my heart as compared to that accident which had managed to hurt me just physically.

Pearl was driving me home when I had noticed she looked off herself. I knew her to be a smart girl who never let her professional mask slip but that morning I found her eyes lost and staring into eternity. They were craving for something it seemed beyond her limits.

I didn't know what it was. I wanted to ask her but didn't want to appear nosy. At the same time, I wasn't sure if my mind was playing tricks with me. Maybe it was my own melancholy which was getting projected on her, making me feel everyone around me was sad and miserable. 

I wasn't prepared for was the harsh reality.

We were at a fuel station, when Pearl had stepped out of the car to go to the small departmental store. I thought she needed something so didn't question her, but she forgot her mobile in the car which started ringing the moment she wasn't around. I ignored it for some time but when it kept ringing incessantly and Pearl was gone for some time, I thought it might be urgent. I picked up the phone. It stopped ringing at the same time, but it was already too late for the damage had already happened.