Chapter 84 - You Don't Care

Out of Love by Alessia Cara. (The song fits this chapter like a skin, well almost. Enjoy the heart touching lyrics in the song while reading the chapter.)

********************************************************

It felt like I had died. But in reality, it was worse than death. The pain was immeasurable. A fierce burning blade shot right through my heart. My silly hand jumped to my bosom, thinking stupidly that would save me from the cruel attack. Or maybe it was trying to pull out the invisible dagger that was still stuck in my bosom causing me immense ache that was rapidly spreading all across my veins. But along with the agony, the sight also caused a havoc in my mind. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to scream out and kill both of them with my bare hands. I wanted to bolt out of that room and never see Norberto ever again. Seeing Norberto with Greta broke me completely. I simply didn't know what to do.

But then the situation was taken out of my hands, when Greta pulled out of the bed and stood up staring at me with a triumph grin. Her short dress barely covered up her ass and the front buttons were opened revealing her net lingerie.

"Well, well, well, little Melanie is here! I wasn't expecting to be disturbed but now that you are here, let me thank you for taking care of Norberto while I was away. He tells me you have been of great help to him," Greta said while carelessly putting her buttons together.

I couldn't believe I heard her right. Norberto spoke to Greta about me? Before I could understand or react, she came right upto me and took my hands in her hands. "I must say I was not very happy when I came to know about your marriage but Norberto told me it's all just a façade and that you agreed to marry him only in name," she said before adding quickly, "There is nothing between two of you." She was still smiling sweetly in my face when I both of us knew there was nothing sweet about the situation.

I stared at her, barely controlling my urge to jerk off her hands from me. Her words kept repeating in my brain. There is nothing between two of you. My eyes shifted from her to Norberto who was still on the bed. He had pulled back his shirt in order but it was still open. He wasn't looking at me but I could sense he had been disappointed by my interruption.

My heart died another faint death but no one in the room noticed. I wanted nothing but to run away as far away as possible where I would forget everything. But that was not happening. Pulling onto every ounce of strength in my body and soul, I schooled my features to display a blank face. They, who didn't care about my feelings, didn't need to know them as well.

"I didn't know you were here in Tipperary," I forced myself to speak to the woman who was all over my husband a minute.

"I came just this morning," Greta replied warmly but I knew there was nothing warm about that woman. Not when she was sharing bed with my husband. My husband, my man, whom I had learned less than twenty-four hours ago that I loved him with all my life. Suddenly the memory of that realization caused a bitter sour taste in my mouth. This can't be happening to her. But she'll damned if she took shit. Love him or not, she was still his wife and she wasn't going to be treated like a woman without any self-respect.

"Well, that's a pity considering I had come to this country to be away from that world and the people who belonged to that world," I replied blankly but to the point.

Greta was a bit taken aback at my direct unfriendliness but she recovered quickly. "Oh, is it? But then how did you end up with Norberto? Doesn't he belong to the very same world you are running away from?" she asked me sarcastically.

It was the truth. I may want to tell my heart otherwise but that was the ultimate truth and today seemed to have proved that beyond any doubt. I stared at Norberto who was looking at me for the first time but there was no expression on his face. "Yes, he does," I quietly replied to Greta but my eyes were still fixed on Norberto. Something flickered in his eyes but then he turned away completely ignoring that I was still watching him.