TEN.

' ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ ғʀɪᴇɴᴅsʜɪᴘs  ' ↙︎

' ʙʀᴏᴋᴇɴ
ғʀɪᴇɴᴅsʜɪᴘs ' ↙︎

VERITY'S ARMS HUNG LOOSELY by her sides. Her head, as well, hung low in shame, refusing to look up at not only Eddie's face scrunched up in pain, but Mrs. Kaspbrak's furious, botchy, red face. The woman's eyes doused anger as she glared at the kids stood before her.

"You, you did this," she declared furiously, her voice heavy and choked as though she didn't have enough oxygen in her body that allowed her to speak. "You know how delicate he is."

"We were attacked, Mrs. K."

"No, don't- don't try to blame anyone else," she said, shaking her head as she pointed a finger in their faces before she pulled Eddie along her side.

Scampering her way towards the driver's seat, the big woman's keys descended towards the ground, falling with a blunt click. Beverly reached down to get them for the woman, but Mrs. Kaspbrak was quick to snatch them away from Beverly's hands.

"Get back!" She had yelled and as she met Beverly's eyes, she told her in a breathy, hassling voice. "Oh, I've heard of you, Miss Marsh and I don't want a dirty girl like you touching my Eddie," she seethed.

Behind Beverly, Verity clenched her fists, refraining herself from throwing a bundle of dirty words and insults at the woman.

Beverly barely moved, letting the woman get away with the cruel and disgusting comment.

"You are all monsters, all of you! Now Eddie's done with you, you hear? Done!" she shouted at them as she forcefully pushed Eddie into the car.

Just before the woman could walk away, Verity stepped forward, she'd had enough. "How dare you!" she screamed. "How dare you talk to Beverly like that? You're the monster, hag!"

Verity had enough of the way everyone thought of Beverly. She was sick of it. She would not be a bystander to the torment that was inflicted on the girl. It wasn't fair, it was vicious and disgusting, because Beverly was a kind girl.

Eddie's mother's jaw dropped and she slowly turned on the heel of her shoe. She walked towards Verity as if taunting her. "Excuse me?" she spoke through her teeth.

"You heard me. And before you say something about telling my parents, be aware I could care less. I'm sure they'd like to know about what you just told Beverly and how you just called us monsters," Verity warned, a diminutive smile marking its way onto her lips. "You know my parents wouldn't take that very lightly, Mrs K."

"You- you-" Eddie's mother pointed a clammy finger in her face, the woman's harsh stench wafting its way to her nostrils and she nearly gagged. Poor Eddie.